1.10

While Marcel and Nik go out to kill the members of the human faction I stay in. I can hear Davina wandering around the compound so I follow after her. She winds up in the garage looking for Josh.

"It's okay. You can trust Marcel. And if Klaus tries to hurt you. I'll hurt him," Davina assures.

I laugh a little. "I'm sure if you could actually stop Klaus, you would've done it already."

Davina and Josh both turn to look at me. Davina recognizes me from earlier. "You're Else. Klaus' sister."

"Twin sister more specifically. And you are the all-powerful superwitch, Davina. And let's not forget Josh, newbie vampire way out of his element, voted 'Most Likely to Die Next.'," I tease.

Josh nods nervously. "Fantastic."

"Hey, I'm just here trying to keep the peace between my siblings. Of course, it would suck if Klaus found out you're still lurking around. Maybe there's a world where we can all look out for each other?" I offer.

I wander around my old home for a while. Not much has changed, except this time I stole Kol's room. His was always the nicest. It has a balcony that overlooks the street. I was always jealous that he got the better room, but never surprised. If Kol didn't get what he wanted he would whine until he did, or he would throw a tantrum and murder a bunch of people. Our family has always found it better to just let him have what he wants.

I can hear Marcel and Nik back in the courtyard. I head downstairs needing to speak to my brother.

"Sure. And then you got it in your head to take what I created. When I picked up that coin, I swore loyalty, Klaus, not friendship. I'm holding up my end. The other one has to be earned," Marcel states.

Nik spots me walking down the stairs. "Ah, Else just in time. I think it is only fair that Marcel know the truth about my intentions."

I join my brother and Marcel. Marcel seems confused by what Nik is saying.

"You should probably know the whole story. My decision was not entirely my own. If I didn't agree to usurp your power, the witches swore to kill my sister's unborn child," Nik explains.

I look at Marcel feeling guilty. I may not have raised Marcel like Nik had but I was still close with him. I was the one who told him it was okay for him to like Bekah. I was his confidante for all the things he couldn't tell Nik about. Marcel and I have been friends since the very beginning.

"Trust me at first, my child meant nothing to Nik. Heck the baby didn't even mean much to me. It took me a while to convince myself, and Nik, that this baby was a way for us to be better than how our father raised us. How he held us in contempt from the moment we were born, as yours did with you. I will not do to my child what was done to me. To us," I tell Marcel.

Marcel looks at my brother skeptically. "All this, the spying, the manipulation that's just something you were forced into. Is that it? And what now? You feel kinda bad... 'Hey buddy, it's nothing personal.' Is that it?"

"I admit, I was jealous. I saw the empire you had created on your own, without me. I saw it, and I wanted it," Nik confesses.

"You're wrong, you know. I didn't do it on my own. I stood in the shadow of my father my entire human life, and I never would've gotten out from under it, if not for you. You're the one who taught me that a man can't be defined by anyone but himself." Marcel pauses for a moment. "So, what now?"

"This community that you've built, you have their respect. Their love. I could rule them, but I cannot win them, not without you. So, rule with me. Side by side as equals. Friends. Brothers," Nik says.