1.2

I hear a car pulling into the driveway. I get up from my bed to see who it is. As I step into the hallway, I see Jackson holding a fireplace poker. I give him a look.

"What?" Jackson says. "I can't wolf out whenever I want. I needed something to protect you and the baby."

My heart jumps a little at the mention of the baby. "Well how about you get behind me, since I can kill whoever is about to walk through the door."

Jack ignores my words as he starts to make his way down the stairs. When the front door opens, I hear high heels clicking on the wooden floor.

"Who the hell are you?" Jackson asks.

"Oh, you must be the butler. My bags are in the car, get them, will you?" Bekah says.

I breeze past Jackson and rush towards my sister and pull her into a tight hug.

"Not the butler," Jackson says from behind me.

Bekah looks from me to Jackson. "Right. You're the werewolf that knocked up my sister. It's Jackson, isn't it?"

Jackson puts down the poker. "You have your brother's manners."

"And his temper, too, so watch it," Bekah warns. She turns her attention back to me. "Look at you. You are absolutely glowing. Although I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump."

I smile from ear to ear. "Not yet Bekah. I'm not that far along."

Bekah's smile falters. "Where's Elijah?"

"I haven't seen him in a while," I answer.

Bekah looks at me confused. "Do you know where he went?"

I shake my head. "If I had to guess, our dear brother Niklaus had something to do with it. He dared to look me in the eyes and tell me that Elijah had bailed."

Bekah's expression turns to anger. "Which means Niklaus has done something dastardly and Klaus-like. Klaus!" She walks from the foyer into the living room. I follow behind her. "Get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you narcissistic, back-stabbing wanker!"

Nik opens a set of doors and walks into the room. "Enough with all the shouting." He looks at Bekah. "Little sister, I should have known. I assume the six dead vampires were you're doing?"

"They were very rude," Bekah informs him. "Trying to victimize a poor, innocent girl just trying to find her way to the Quarter. So sorry, were they friends of yours? Oh, that's right, you don't have any friends."

"I do have friends. I have Marcel. You remember him, don't you?" Nik taunts. "Yes, of course you do. He fancies himself the 'King of the Quarter' now, and he has these rules about killing vampires. It'll be fun to see what sort of punishment he comes up with for you."

"I don't care about Marcel or his rules," Bekah states. "Elijah wouldn't disappear on Else. What did you do to him?"

Klaus smirks as he sits on the arm of a chair. "Perhaps he's on holiday... or taking a long autumn nap upstairs. Well, go on. Take a look around." Bekah goes to leave the room. "You remember this house as well as I."

Bekah turns around to look at Nik. "I remember everything." Her expression falls. "I remember how the drunken fool of a governor hid away all of our vampire sins in exchange for gold. I remember the lavish parties the governor threw, as if to impress you. I remember finding a moment of affection with the governor's son, Emil. Else, had found a man of her own. And I remember that even Elijah was happy."

New Orleans in 1820 was a beautiful happy time for my family. We were free to live our lives as the vampire's we were. I was involved with the son of a wealthy merchant. I thought that I was in love, but then again so did Bekah. Hers was Emil and she wanted to turn him into a vampire. Nik was disgusted by the idea, and he threw Emil over the railing of the third floor of the house. Nik never could see that Bekah and I were capable of making our own decisions about who we loved, who we trusted.