Untitled Part 38

I like this chapter which is a mixture of the cute, the funny, and the hint of romance in the air. Although Qiao Feng is academically very smart, he is really hopeless at chasing girls and Song Zi Cheng is really much better than him on this score. Better yet, he still doesn't even realize that he is chasing after a girl and always know just the right thing to say to confuse Lan Shan. Poor girl. Let's hope if his hormone test or some holy water will help clarify the situation.

Chapter 57: Realization

Song Zi Cheng has always thought that he is a good-natured guy but this time, he is really angry. He has never seen a more inconsiderate person and the worse thing this, this chewing-gum seems to know their itinerary like the back of his hand.

Lan Shan walks up to Qiao Feng and taps on his shoulder. "Explain."

He is all innocence. "Do not think that I'm stalking you." At her look of disbelief, he adds. "If you really think I am, can you tell me how did I manage to track you?"

When Lan Shan has no answer he continues. "The tracking feature in your mobile phone has been turned off and although it is possible for me to override the code, that is illegal and I will definitely not break the law in my dealings with you. So I really did not follow you."

Lan Shan wavers. "Then why do we keep running into each other?"

Qiao Feng speaks with feeling. "To meet a friend in a foreign city is call 'affinity'. Can't be help on that score."

"Huh! As if you believe in affinity."

"I am merely using a concept which you understand to explain things to you."

Song Zi Cheng has enough of playing the third wheel and coughs discreetly. "Let us go in."

Lan Shan continues to bicker with Qiao Feng but just before they reach the lifts, Song Zi Cheng stops her. "Lan Shan, can you spare me some time? We need to discuss about tomorrow."

When it involves work, Qiao Feng will not hold back Lan Shan no matter how thick-skinned he is, so he watches in silence as the 2 go off in the direction of the lounge. Before they disappear from view, Song Zi Cheng turns and throws him a cold, challenging look. Qiao Feng acknowledges that the man does have reason to look down on him on certain levels, but then again, he never have problem ignoring derisions so he did not take it to heart and steps into the lift.

As for Song Zi Cheng, although he has come up with this excuse to way laid Lan Shan at the last minute he is able to switch to his business mode smoothly. Unfortunately, he realizes too late that Lan Shan has taken the cue from him and is playing the role of the hardworking subordinate very seriously.

This is not what he is after! He has hoped to establish a less formal relationship with her on this trip (he will be more than happy if there are any major leaps in their relationship) but now, he has widen their gap by his own doing.

After a while, he orders some tea and tries to change the topic to something non-work related but he can tell that he is losing Lan Shan's attention who cannot help wondering about Qiao Feng although she is also aware of Boss's strange mood today. Still, Song Zi Cheng is one who knows when to stop when the going is good and finally dismisses her for the night.

After she leaves, Song Zi Cheng feels lost and a little confused. He seems to be caught in a meaningless loop that he has no control over. Melancholy kicks in with this realization, and the normally cool, handsome, self-centred boss ends up cooling off by his lonesome in the lounge.

********

When Lan Shan reaches her floor, she sees Qiao Feng again. This time, he is sitting on the carpeted corridor with his back to a door. His is hugging his knees and she is struck once more by his demure manners. Can't he act a bit more rugged? Still his little-lost-boy rendition strikes a chord in her and she relents.