Untitled Part 29

Finally, a nice, long chapter. I must say that I am a sadist for I am actually enjoying the downturn in the relationship and the next few chapters are actually my favourite part of the book. I am expecting Sect Leader Qiao to throw a tantrum but I did not expect the turn of events, which leaves me eagerly wanting more. Aw, Qiao Feng, I feel so sorry for you ...... but please continue the way you are now for a while more please?

Chapter 47: Heartbreak

Because of the happenings last night, all of them wake up late the next day. Wu Wen already knows that his brother has left in the early morning with Xie Feng Shen and wonders to himself when his brother will get over this snit. Poking listlessly at his breakfast (Lan Shan and Xiao You Cai are doing the same), he catches the hush-hush exchanges and glances between the two ladies who look like 2 frost-covered tomatoes, and he thinks: serves them right!

On the drive back, he studies the two women at the back and finally speaks. "Lan Shan, I do not really blame you for I think you have been led astray. As for my brother, he is a stubborn bull whom no one can stop him from butting his head against a wall until there is blood, so don't take him to heart. Maybe it will help if you explain things nicely to him as he is someone who responds to soft approaches. And he is angry now because he cares so please don't be too upset by his temper. If it is just a stranger from the streets calling him "Hi gay", he would not have been angry at all."

After some thought, Wu Wen decides against telling her about Qiao Feng's misunderstanding to avoid complicating matters.

By the time she reaches her apartment building, Lan Shan is feeling in the dumps. Depressed, she keeps her head lowered and when she passes the garbage bin, she spots a familiar porcelain bowl that is now broken to pieces. Isn't this the bowl on Qiao Feng's TV console, the one which he uses to put his keys and other small items?

She walks over and starts digging out the bowl fragments. A rag-and-bone man comes by on a bicycle laden with crushed metal cans that he has collected over the last 2 hours. When he sees Lan Shan combing through the rubbish, he thinks that she is a competitor and stares hard at her. Lan Shan pass him an empty Coke can and show him the porcelain pieces in her hand. "I am looking for this."

Relaxed that she is not a competitor, the rag-and-bone man then help her comb through the rest of the rubbish for the rest of the porcelain peices. He gives her a dirty-looking plastic bag to put the fragments, which she takes with thanks, and even reminds her helpfully. "The recycling centre do not take porcelain." which she reverts with an "I know."

When she reaches home, she washes and dries all the pieces carefully before attempting to glue them back. However, the bowl is badly broken and she is unable to piece it back after an hour, so she can only separate the pieces again. By then, it is time for lunch and her mind thinks of Qiao Feng immediately. However, thinking that he could be still sleeping after staying up the whole of last night, she figures she should not disturb him so that he can sleep a little longer.

She walks to a nearby eatery and orders some food. There are not many customers in the shop and the waiter tries to chat up with his beautiful customer. "Hi Sister, are you new around here? I have not seen you before."

Lan Shan answers between mouthfuls of food. "Yup, I only moved here slightly more than 2 months ago."

"That is not really recent. How come I have not seen you before this?"

"You probably have and have forgotten me."

"No way. You are too beautiful for me to forget you if we have really met before."

Lan Shan is immune to flattery on her looks and continues eating while the waiter continues. "This must be the first time you are patronizing our shop. Do you eat out often?"