Untitled Part 14

Chapter 28: Angered

Lan Shan is very touched. Standing among the peonies, she bellows: "Qiao Feng!"

Qiao Feng hears her loud cry and thinks that something bad has happened to her. He drops everything he is doing (cooking dinner) and dashes to the balcony, specula in hand. "What is wrong?"

Lan Shan smiles. "Where did you get these flowers?"

"I bought them, Dummy!"

"Where did you buy them?"

Seeing that she is unhurt, Qiao Feng starts to feel irritated from being interrupted while cooking. "I bought them from the florist of course. Do you think I could have gotten them from the animal wholesale zoo?"

"Did you buy them for me?"

"I think you should stop thinking so highly of yourself."

But Lan Shan has her own suspicion and is not going to be dismissed so easily. "Do you expect me to believe that you bought them for yourself? Are you a woman to like flowers?"

Qiao Feng lowers his head and speaks to his shiny specula. "I am just worried that you will steal another person's flowers."

To think he can come up with such an excuse! Lan Shan decides to erase the last remark from her memory. Qiao Feng sniffs the air. "The mushrooms are turning mushy." and hurries back to the kitchen.

Although the mushrooms did end up mushy that day, Lan Shan still enjoys her dinner immensely. After dinner, she follows behind Qiao Feng for an after-dinner stroll and meets another dog. Looking at her cowering behind him, Qiao Feng says disdainfully. "You are worse than Schrödinger."

"Don't tell me Schrödinger is not afraid of dogs?"

"He is only afraid of rats."

That catches Lan Shan's attention. A cat that is afraid of rats not dogs? Is that little eunuch really a cat or is it something else in disguise?

******

The next day at work, Lan Shan and her colleagues are discussing about Song Zi Cheng who got featured in a finance magazine. Apparently, his parents are very rich and his purchase of a 4S Shop is more for interest than for profit. Really, it is not wise to compare oneself against other people or risk chocking from envy. Some people are just born lucky!

His photograph is well-taken in the article and many of Lan Shan's women colleagues nearly drools while staring. Not Lan Shan though. Firstly, she is a beautiful woman in her own right so she is not easily impressed by looks. Secondly, she has been spending too much time with Qiao Feng who is another good-looking specimen, so her immunity towards good looks has climbed another notch. As for background, Lan Shan is also not impressed. It is true that rich second-generations live a good life, but how many of such rich second-generations are out there? In Lan Shan's book, ambition and hardwork are more a dependable formula for better life.

Qiao Feng is the first example that comes to mind. His grandfather is a farmer, his parents are teachers, and despite this relatively normal family, Qiao Feng is now living very well! It helps he has a golden brain, but his success is also because he is patient and very focused in what he does. Another example is Wu Wen. He has the same humble background, but that does not stop him for forming his own company at a young age and making it into a success story from his own efforts. For them, they can say with pride anytime: I am not a rich second-generation. I am his Father.

So, damn, cool! In her mind, Lan Shan sees a group of minions rising and clapping for these 2 successful men.

After the break, everyone go back to their workstation. Not long after, their Office Administrator appears, full of smiles. "Everyone! Boss is giving us a reward."