Untitled Part 16

The title of this chapter is 松鼠鳜鱼, or Squirrel-shaped Mandarin Fish, is a reknown delicacy from Jiang Su province. The fish is deboned and slice into diagonal cuts while connected by its skin. When it is fried in oil, the cuts will open up into a "flower" and the fish is then set aside on the serving dish. Next the sauce is created from a mixture of shallots, vinegar, ketchup, shrimp, mushrooms, and poured over the fish before adding garnish and served.

Chapter 31 Squirrel-shaped Mandarin Fish

Lan Shan is deeply touched by Qiao Feng's reply and thinks that he is simply too good a friend. He seems to be the typical cold-exterior-warm-interior kind of man and while he may not stick his nose into other people business normally, he will be loyal through and through once he starts regarding you as a friend. Compared to people who only sprout sweet nothings, she much prefers his brand of steady-fastness.

When Qiao Feng sees that Lan Shan is looking at him intently, he sees that her eyes are lit up like the reflection of stars on a lake due to reflection of light from the street lamps. Ay, what weird ideas is this woman having now?

******

Lan did not get to eat the legendary Squirrel-shaped Mandarin Fish the next day because Xiao You Cai wants to meet her "to tell her something very important". So she calls Qiao Feng: "Little Feng Feng, I need to meet up with Xiao You Cai later so please don't cook my dinner tonight."

Qiao Feng grumbles as he does not like changes to his plans. "I have bought the fish already."

"I'm sorry, very sorry. Why not we keep the fish for 2 days before killing it?"

"You dummy, the fish has already been killed. How do you expect me to rear a fish whose intestines have been gutted?"

The image causes goose pimples to stand out on Lan Shan's scalp. "You can skip the details. Xiao You Cai really has something to tell me today so I'm sorry I can't be back for dinner."

"I guess you have to meet her. I will give your share to Schrödinger."

Lan Shan can only dab away her imaginary tears. "I guess I have no choice but to let Grand Eunuch Schrödinger have the advantage."

When she meets Xiao You Cai, Lan Shan gets to hear about her harrowing adventure at the hotspring and is impressed by her friend's forwardness. To think they are just talking about Xiao You Cai forcing herself on Wu Wen the other day and here she is, taking action already. Well done!

Xiao You Cai insists she isdreaming and the 2 friends go on to discuss if Wu Wen will make it difficult for Xiao You Cai at work. He hasn't so far, but he can be pretty cheeky and has made fun of Xiao You Cai this morning when he sees her in the office. "Oh it is you. I nearly couldn't recognize you with your clothes."

Lan Shan comforts Xiao You Cai that this is no big deal and is probably his way of dealing with ...nearly being raped? Her advice is for Xiao You Cai to lay low for the time being, try not to make any mistakes, and wait for another opportunity to strike.

Xiao You Cai nods solemnly.

******

Despite being informed, Qiao Feng still ended up cooking too much that night. Partly, it is because he has bought a big fish in consideration of someone's big appetite. And despite Schrödinger trying his best, there is still half a fish and half a plate of stir-fry vegetables remaining at the end of the meal.

Qiao Feng is not one who wastes food and packs all the left-overs into sealed boxes before putting them into the fridge. Thereafter, he goes for a stroll and cuts himself some fruits when he gets back. He watches some TV and finding nothing interesting, he goes to the study to read.