Thirty

"Ivory, wake up. Carmen is back."

I blinked open my eyes, the lingering effects of sleep clinging to me. Atticus sat on our bed, an anxious look on his face. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, pushing myself up.

"Just come. We have to go see Dr. Brown."

I hurried to put on some tights, and an oversized sweater. Atticus was already dressed and watched as I quickly brushed my teeth and threw my hair into a ponytail. As soon as I was finished getting ready, we were rushing down the halls to Brown's office.

"Did she find her pair? Is that the emergency?"

"Yes, but no. I don't really know all the information either. We just need to be in that office now," Atticus replied, jogging as I ran to keep up with him. 

I didn't like the worried look in his eyes.Atticus was rarely worried. I just hoped everyone was safe.

We got to Brown's office, and I knocked. We heard a muffled welcome,so I opened it. Carmen was sitting on one of the chairs, her blond hair braided off to one side. She looked up at us when we walked in, and an easy smile appeared.I was taken aback. Carmen never smiled like that, but then I noticed who stood next to her and it made sense. There was a man next to her, with dark brown hair and pale skin. He wore glasses,and a gleam from the lights hid his eyes, but he and Atticus greeted each other familiarly. This must be Tristen. 

I locked eyes with Carmen and gave her a goofy grin. She rolled her eyes but couldn't hide her own smile. I was glad she seemed genuinely happy. 

"I'm sorry for the late night call,but I'm afraid I needed you both here. You, especially,Ivory," Brown said, running a hand through his hair,a wide look in his eyes.

I was immediately worried.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We got it," Carmen said, a smug look on her face. 

"Got what?"

"The mysterious shot they give the recessive babies. I had a vision that you would need it,so..."

I looked at her, shocked. 

"How?" Atticus piped up beside me.

"Well, Tristen worked at the hospital as a pediatric surgeon, so after we made up, I just had the thought you know? Babies are born at hospitals everyday, and Tristen would definitely know the layout. So, he snuck into the medicine room, and found this weird vaccine kind of thing. It was the only thing he couldn't explain, and saw that it was kept near the rest of the shots they give the newborns."

"It may not be what we are looking for. We are having our doctors here examine it, and see what exactly it is," Phinneus claimed. 

I took in a breath. This all seemed too good to be true. If those were the shots they used to kill the babies, we could reach out to the public. If we did this right, we might have a chance to end the Exotasi's influence. They would be overthrown. Then a thought occurred to me... what would we do if we did end the Exotasi? What would happen after...

My train of thought was quickly interrupted as a knock sounded at the door.

Brown called them in, and a woman wearing jeans and a red button up entered.

"Doctor Reid, have you found any results?" Brown asked, sitting up in his chair.

She nodded, pulling out a file. 

"It is basically a shot of hydrogen cyanide, which when such a large amount is directly inserted into the bloodstream almost immediately attacks the brain, heart, blood vessels and lungs. It is extremely fatal."

I looked at Atticus,eyes wide. His eyes met mine, a look of triumph there. We were all thinking it. 

We now had the upper hand. 

"I need to make a few calls. We need to move now. Ivory, talk to your brother, let him know what we've found. Atticus, speak to the tech team,we will need them to not only broadcast, but to reach all of the population. Carmen, gather all of our other evidence, some of the mothers who are willing to speak, the dominants who were threatened,the children like you and Atticus who lost their parents to the Exotasi. Anyone who is willing to speak.  I'll speak to the other directors and in the morning, we will make the first broadcasting," Phinneus spoke, already reaching for the phone.

We all dispersed, and I took of running to my brother's holding cell. I was running as fast as I could, my feet barely touching the ground. We were going to make a difference. We were going to change fate. I realized I didn't have my key card,and changed directions, instead going to our apartment. I threw open the door, grabbing my card and then racing to my brother.

I slide the card frantically, and pulled open the door.

"Blake! Blake wake up!" I screamed. He shot up from his cot,eyes wide.

"Ivory? What the hell?" 

"We did it! We got the vaccine they gave the babies,it was cyanide! We can call out to the public!" I told him,bouncing with excitement.

Blake looked just as stunned as I'm sure I did. 

"Ivory,close the door," Blake finally said. I looked at him in confusion, but did as he said.

He stood, and slowly sat at the table. I joined him. 

"I agree, that society needs to change, but at what cost?" He asked lowly.

"What do you mean, Blake? I think saving millions of infants is worth the risk," I said.

"I agree, but when this government falls, then what?"

"I'm sure we'll just elect new officials."  

"Did Doctor Brown tell you that?"

"No, but that's the most logical thing to do."

"It's not the most logical outcome though,Ivory. You think a rebellion that has been in action for more than a decade will just let go of the control once they take it?"

I was silent. Apart of me didn't want to really take in what he was saying, but didn't I learn? No body was completely innocent. Both sides of this had blood on their hands, skeletons in their closets. But I believed The Sarama were fighting for what was right. 

"I'm saying Ivory," Blake continued

"When the Exotasi are gone,what's to stop the Sarama from just completely taking over? What if their plan to get rid of the evil in this government, wasn't as good intentioned as you believe?" 

________________________________________________________________________________

Ohhhhhhhh! It's getting so intense. Like Ivory said, the line between good and evil is thin.... what do you guys think? Comment your thoughts! I always read them. And please don't forget to vote if you want faster updates. Seeing activity on these chapters inspires me to write more. I love you guys <3