Twenty Four

"He's unresponsive, Ivory."

I looked to Dr. Brown, who stood beside a lean man, who was of about average height. His face was stiff, subtle signs of frustration tore at his mouth and the corners of his eyes.

His green orbs blinked back at me, as if he could think of no words to explain his predicament, his failure.

"This is Riley, he has been working with your brother," Brown introduced, his rough voice layered with a slight cough. Brown's health wasn't up to par with his irregular sleeping and eating habits.

"Hello, Riley," I said, reaching forward to shake his hand. He hesitantly took it, gripping it firmly in his calloused palm.

"Riley hasn't gotten anything out of Blake in the last three weeks, and we don't have time to waste. I want you to assist Riley in interrogating and informing Blake."

I sighed softly, my shoulders hunched. I haven't spoken to Blake since I slammed a vase into his head. Now, I partially regret taking him here so rashly. Blake believed we were evil, a terrorist group. I haven't been able to think of any way to convince him other wise, but I know that it's important.

Having Blake on our side could change a lot of the happenings in the recessive world.

"I'll try," I told the pair, crossing my arms over my chest in a desperate attempt to keep out the sudden chill.

I followed Riley, a silent man around Atticus's age, to a quiet part of the under ground rebellion that was rarely ever frequented, and never at all by me.

We approached a metal door in which Riley slid his key card, and then we went to a glass like cell. I could see my brother sitting along side a table, both bolted to the floor.

"This glass is bullet proof, and one way. He can't see us. And under normal circumstances, it would mute or temporarily strip him of his powers, but it seems that the protective field around him is an unconscious mechanism. He can't control it right now, but it still protects him."

I nodded, simply watching Blake. His skin, tan like my own but a few shades darker, wasn't sweaty. He seemed calm, until you took a closer look. I could see bags under his chocolate colored eyes. He sipped out of a creme colored mug, as he gazed off into the distance, thoughtful.

He ran a hand through his slightly wavy hair, then sighed and took another sip.

"What is he drinking?" I asked.

"Tea," He said.

I nodded, gathering my wits.

"I'm ready."

Riley passed his key card across the scanner, and an audible click was heard. He pushed open a seamless door into the glass cubical, and we both walked in.

"You're back early, Riley," My brother stated cooly.

"And you brought my baby sister. Did you think that would change anything?" Blake asked, his head lazily swiveling to look our way.

I sat across from him wordlessly.

"What flavor of tea is that?" I asked, resting my cheek against my open palm, leaning my elbow against the cold metal of the table top.

"Its Earl Grey. I was feeling a bit tired so I figured the caffeine would help, " He took another sip.

"I'm more of a green tea fan myseld," I confessed, watching him swallow the warm drink.

"Green tea tastes like grass."

I chuckled.

"Its an acquired taste."

"Are we here only to talk about preference, dearest sister?" Blake asked, that bored look still on his far off features.

"Well, I don't see why not. You'll be here for a long time after all, Big Brother."

He looked at me after that, his lips pinching slightly in the corners like he had eaten something sour.

"I will not betray our government, Ivory."

"I'm not asking you to."

"Then why are you here?"

I leaned forward, pressing my arms against the table top to propel me into his space, making sure our eyes stayed locked.

"I am here for you to listen."

........................................................................

"How did it go?" Attie asked, a red apple shining in his hand as he took a bite.

I sighed, coming to meet him at the breakfast bar.

"I have no idea. I told him about growing up without a mom and a dad,  staying with our aunt. I spoke about how I met you, and the things I've learned and seen. I even told them about the Exotasi's plans to eradicate Recessives all together. He didn't say much, but I'll find a way."

"I know you will, kitten. You've always been a stubborn one."

"I just don't know what to do! Both sides have skeletons in their closets. The only difference is, we're fighting for equality amongst our nation. Only, we're the only ones who know that. Everyone else just thinks we're a terrorist group."

Atticus frowned at me, standing up.

"One day, that will change though," he assured me, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into his chest. He placed a kiss on my forehead.

"One day..." I echoed, closing my eyes.

"I think I'll introduce you to someone who may help swing Blake's opinion. She is apart of our tech division, and what she has to say may shine some light up there in his manipulated mind."

I gave him a confused smile.

"And how will she do that?"

"By telling him her story."
______________________________________

Hey guys! I'm sorry for the short and slow updates.

I've been having a hard time writing this story. I know how I want it to end, I think and I'll be closing it up in the next 4-5 chapters.

For all who have stuck with me through this story, thank you! I know my updates, or lack thereof, can be annoying, but I hope the end result is worth it! I'll probably go through and re edit the story, which I've already started to do. Anyway, I love you guys!