Seventeen

"I have a few ideas," Dr. Brown started.

"Now, children are tested for dominant and recessive genes at birth. The results are then documented, in a way that the Exotasi would have easy access. I was doing some research after what you told me,  Ivory, and I found an interesting pattern. In many of the cases in which we know the Exotasi attempted to recruit strong dominants, their dominant children were taken too, whether the parents were killed or not," Brown stated excitedly, showing us pictures of news articles and missing children reports, all showing that dozens of kids had... vanished.

"Why would they need so many kids?" I murmured, stomach clenching painfully at the thought.

"It's an army," Atticus murmured, looking up from the floor. I gasped at the look in his eyes, all the anger held there. Brown nodded hesitantly.

"That's what I was thinking. "

"So you think my brother was taken into this... army?" I asked, standing from my chair abruptly, no longer able to sit still.

"It is very possible. Your brother was only five when your parents died, but I was told that he was showing some impressive gifts."

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair and tugging as I paced.

"Where would they be?" Atticus asked. I felt ill, and my stomach started started to churn.

"They would have to be in the country. They would want these kids close, not only to use against their parents, but to train them as well."

I stumbled back, it was all too much to handle. Atticus stood up abruptly and rushed to my side. He guided me to lean against his side and I did so gratefully.

"I think that's enough for today, Doc," Atticus decided.

"Are you ok, kitten?" He directed at me.

I didn't reply for a moment, my head spinning.

"There's still one matter we haven't discussed," Brown continued.

"Why are the Exotasi after Ivory?"

"Another day, Doc. She's had enough, " Atticus said firmly. He whisked me out of the room, and I was too dazed to care. A brother I didn't even know I had was dead one day, alive the next, and now a soldier to some evil army.

"Ivory," Atticus said loudly. I looked up at him,  startled. We were already back in our apartment.

"Do you want some tea?" He murmured softly. I nodded after a moment.  He lifted me in his arms and placed me on the counter top, then he began making it. I smiled when I saw that he had finally gotten my favorite,  honey and lavender tea.

"I know this is all overwhelming, but don't let it get to you. We will find them," Attie said softly while popping the tea bag in the mug of hot water.

"This is all just so... new. I never would have thought any of this was possible and now it's happening so fast."

He nodded, not looking up from the task. I enjoyed watching him in the kitchen. He bustled around gracefully, and if he needed something across the counter, it would float to him obediently. He seemed comfortable.

"Attie... How did you feel when you found me?" I wondered. He looked at me, surprised. Then he chuckled.

"That was random," he commented, letting the mug float to the spit beside me.

"It's hot," he warned.

"I know, but I'm curious. You seemed mildly annoyed and indifferent about the whole thing," I remembered the way he teased me, and told me I had terrible timing.

"Did I?" He questioned, approaching me. Even while I sat on the counter top, he towered over me.

"Well at the time, I was pretty occupied with running from the government. I mean, I am on their top 5 secret wanted list," he bragged, a mischievous smile on his face. I shook my head at him in disapproval. I really didn't want to know how he managed that feat.

"I had scoped out that cafe the day before, and knew it'd be the perfect place to hide out for a second if I needed to gain my bearings. I stashed my vehicle near by, and was prepared. When I went in that day, I was pretty surprised to see you. I knew immediately that you were mine, and looking at you, it made since. I had never been the type to say I had a type, but looking at you, I knew you were everything I could have wanted. More so, actually. Then I noticed you were on a date."

I cringed at this part of the story.

"Hey, I felt terrible the whole time! To be fair, I didn't think I'd ever find you," I defended myself.

"I'm 24, kitten, I waited longer than you," he pointed out playfully.

"So you're telling me you never dated or had any relationships?" I asked, doubtful. No way Atticus was never with a woman,  he was too beautiful.

"I was never in a relationship or went on any dates," he said seriously.

"You're a virgin?"

He hesitated at that.

"I didn't say that..."

I looked at him, slightly hurt. I knew he didn't know me,  and it did take longer than usual for us to meet.

"When...?"

"Are you sure you want to know this, Kitten?"

I nodded slowly.

"When I was 21, living in Cali. But they were one night stands, and it was only because I really thought I'd never find you. But after I joined the Rarama, I knew there was still a chance."

I took a moment, accepting and processing the information.

"I never slept with anyone, " I finally admitted.

I saw Atticus blink at me, then smiled wide. It was beautiful, breath taking even. A dimple poked out on either side and his eyes lit up, looking like melted caramel. He drew me closer, standing in between my legs and bending so that he could rest his head on my chest.

"I'm So glad. I hate the idea of another man having you, my kitten."

"Of course, Atticus. You're all I want," I mumbled, letting my hands glide into his hair. I played with the dark strands, enjoying how soft they felt under my touch.

He groaned in pleasure, sending goosebumps across my skin as I blushed. I tightened my grip unconsciously, and Atticus let out a harsh, warm breath against the skin of my chest. His face moved upward, resting against my neck. He left a kiss there, then lightly bit the same spot. I yelped, jumping slightly. He chuckled darkly and pulled away, his hazel eyes looking like burnt umber.

I turned a brighter shade of red as I looked away from him. This man was going to drive me nuts.