Twenty Five

"This is Casey," Atticus said, gesturing to a woman in her mid to late twenties.

"She's the woman from the tech team that I told you about."

"It's nice to meet you," She smiled. Casey had long, honey brown hair that was neatly in a pony tail. Her skin was pale, and she had a cute button nose. She pushed her dark rimmed glasses up her nose as she shifted on her feet.

She was about my height, which was short, and wore dark cargo pants and an olive green tank top.

"You too. I really hope what you have to say, will change my brother's mind," I grinned back, waving goodbye to Atticus as I walked with her to Blake's holding cell.

I used my newly gifted card and swiped it through the sensor, hearing an audible click as his cell door opened. Blake sat where he did before, drinking tea again.

"What is today's tea?" I wondered, sitting down in front of him, Casey taking the spot beside me.

"Chamomile." He replied, not looking at me.

"I brought a friend today. This is Casey."

His gaze lazily flickered to hers, then his eyes marginally widened.

"She's here to tell her story."

Blake said nothing, and Casey sat back in her chair, shifting her glasses up nervously.

"It's one I have told often," She started, with a dry chuckle.

"But one I could never forget... I was married to my high school sweet heart right after I turned eighteen. My parents didn't approve because he wasn't my pair, but I'm almost twenty eight now and I still haven't found  him. We were young, and in love. He had a government sponsored job, and was a dominant with weak telepathy skills, but Will was smart. We were making good money when I got pregnant two years later.

We were so excited, me especially. I was told prior that my having children was nearly impossible. I have PCOS, so having a successful and healthy pregnancy was slim. But my baby did it, and everything was going smoothly. Will was very doting and protective. He wanted a girl. His family was full of boys, so he wanted something precious that he could protect.

The birth was... hard. But I remember hearing that first cry ring out in the room, so beautiful. A girl, like Will had hoped. They ran the tests, the doctors, on whether she was recessive or dominant. She was the former. My daughter was one of the first recessive babies they murdered in the effort to wipe them off the face of this planet."

I jolted in my seat, shocked. I had known that it was part of their plans but I hadn't known it was already put into effect... and eight years ago.... how many babies had fallen victim to something they couldn't control? My eyes turned to Blake but he was hard as stone, no longer relaxed but face still blank and eyes glassy. Did he not believe her?

"They said she had birth defects, but Will knew... he said he saw them give her a shot that wasn't regulation. He worked in a lab, and knew the signs of  certain reactions. He said about 30 seconds after the injection... her breathing became layered and she lost her color. Her little body seized as she took her final breaths. I was too out of it after the labor... all I remember is the silence.

He wouldn't let it go,  even when I wished he would so that I could forget.  He made a huge fuss, brought in the news. Tried to sue the hospital. Then one day... Will was in some sort of accident at work. An experiment gone wrong they said... but the coroner found the same traces of lethal chemicals in his systems as were in my daughter's. I lost hope. Who was I to stand up to something so big? I was just... going to end it. But then Atticus, Ivory's pair, found me. Introduced me to what they do here.

I was offered a position, and training so I accepted. I'm making a difference, I'm saving lives. Slowly but surely. Mothers aren't having to go through what I did... and I can avenge my family," Casey wasn't looking at us, but staring off into the distance. She seemed out of it, in her own world... reliving hell.

"But you're not alone." I turned to Blake, eyeing him with curiosity.

Casey seemed to blink away her nightmarish thoughts as she turned back to him.

"No, the Sarama is here for me, like a family," She smiled carefully.

"That's good, but so am I," He stated, eyes firm, lock jawed.

She blinked at him, clearly as confused as I was.

"Because, Casey, you are my Pair."

______________________________________

Ooohhhh... Big reveal!

Hopefully Casey can help Blake see the light.

Sorry I've been gone so long, life gets hectic and sometimes I don't feel as inspired in this story as I used to.

But, as always, I'm not giving up. I still have big plans for Atticus and Ivory.

I love you all, thank you so much for reading!