Four

A single car hadn't passed since I made it out on the road. I'd been walking through the night for about 2 hours now, and my feet were starting to ache, but not as much as the pain in my chest. A part of me wanted to turn back, but I was too afraid. I don't know who my pair actually is, but I have a feeling he's not good. I didn't want to live on the run, or worse, end up dead.

I heard the sound of a car rumbling up the road and turned to see bright head lights coming this way. I waved my arms frantically, trying to get their attention. I let out a sigh of relief as the car began to stop. I walked up to the window as it rolled down and I peered in to see an all too familiar face. Atticus sat behind the wheel, fury written all over his expression. 

My body seemed to grow colder than it already was and without thinking, I turned and bolted into the woods. I heard the car door slam and knew that Atticus was coming after me. I didn't look back though, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I could feel the beat of it in my finger tips. I clenched my fists and pushed my legs to work faster, to jump over roots and rocks, all the while blinded in the dark. Soon enough though, I felt my foot connect with something hard and I was sent sprawling to the ground, rolling in the leaves. I knew I wouldn't have time to get up, that I was done for. I just hoped that if Atticus was going to kill me, he'd do it fast. I felt rough, big hands wrap tightly around my arms, dragging me up. Then, I was thrown over Atticus's shoulder.

"Let me go!" I screamed, indignant, beating against his muscular back.

He remained silent, the only sound was his feet crunching against dried, brown leaves. 

"Atticus, put me down," I almost screamed, pounding harder on his back. He finally let out a growl, and dropped me on my ass. I groaned in pain as my tail bone connected with the cold, hard ground.

"Where the hell did you think you were going to go? We're in the middle of no where," he gritted out, his pretty hazel eyes flashing violently with rage.

"I was going back home! I just needed to hitch hike to an ATM," I screamed at him, tears brimming in my eyes.

"And you thought I'd just let you go, you idiotic girl? All you have managed to do is put us in danger and break my trust," he kneeled down, his face inches from mine. I could feel his breath warming my face, his cheeks flushed with fury.

"What danger? The only danger I see is you," I looked at him, angrily. His eyes flinched a moment, the steel wall of unmanageable rage disappearing and for a brief moment I could see what he was really feeling: hurt, fear, worry, sadness. But then the mask clouded back over his features.

"You are mine, Ivory. No matter where you go, no matter what you say, nothing will change that," he gritted, then he pulled me up, pressing my body firmly against his.

"Wh-what are you doing?" I asked, nervously struggling in his hold. I could've been a mouse in the hands of a lion with the amount of effectiveness my wiggling got me.

"You. Are. Mine," he demanded possessively, his hold tightening.

Then his lips met mine, claiming them passionately. Heat spread almost as violently as Atticus himself. His fingers dug into my skin with bruising force and he seemed to sear into me with his own brand of fire. Then I realized. He was preforming the branding ceremony. Branding ceremony: a ceremony between pairs that creates a permanent bond by uniting the two souls. This is accomplished by a form of unification, sex, or even kissing are the most common. It creates a physical mark on each others body that allows the dominant to be able to always be aware of his recessive, either by knowing their exact location or if they're in pain. Some dominants could even read their recessive's thoughts.

I started thrashing, fighting with everything in me. But it was already too late, the burning spread, focusing itself on the point above my heart, causing me to gasp. A painful pleasure seemed to cause my body to explode as Atticus used that moment to slip his tongue in my mouth, dominating the situation completely. I whimpered as the burning sensation slowly faded away. Atticus pulled away at his own pace, his hazel eyes burning.

"Now you will always be mine. No matter what," he smirked. My hearted stuttered pitifully in my chest in response.
____________________________________________________________________________________

I refused to look at Atticus as he hummed happily to himself, drying my wet, clean hair with a towel. I sat on the bed, my arms crossed as I pouted furiously. The mark on my chest was hot to the touch, and fresh. It still stung dully, especially because Atticus forced his brand on me, which is pretty barbaric and disrespectful. He was currently ignoring my tantrum, just enjoying whatever was going on in his sick little mind.

"I know that you're angry, kitten, but it was going to happen sooner or later. I can't have you running off all the time, it's not safe. You brought this on yourself," He stated, finally satisfied that my hair was dried enough.

"That doesn't give you the right to brand me! It's supposed to be a special ceremony, it's bonding. Now our pull as pairs will be stronger! Not only that, but if we stay away from each other too long then it'll be agony for me," I finally exploded at him.

"Then you should stay close, shouldn't you?" He smirked arrogantly. I gaped at him. How dare he! I finally got up, not being able to sit so close to him anymore.

"Where are you going?" He called, looking down at a book, unconcerned.

"Away from you! You are rude, and selfish and a murderer! I don't know what I did to deserve a pair like you!" I yelled at him, throwing my arms in the air to further prove my anger.

"And you're stupid, careless and twice as selfish. Not only that but you lack one of the basic things every pair has: faith. I am your dominant, you should trust that I will protect you. That is what I'm wired to do, after all. But the first thing you do is run off, putting us both in danger."

"In danger from the police! Because you're a criminal!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about, Kitten. You have half the story and think you know all the answers," He finally looked at me, his hazel eyes cold, stopping me in my tracks. I felt tears brimming, and couldn't stop them from falling.

"What are you doing?" Atticus asked, frozen on the bed. I wiped at my tears furiously, but they wouldn't stop. I heard the bed creak and footsteps approached me.

"Why...why are you crying?" He asked, hands hovering over me, like he was afraid to touch me in case I broke.

"Because Atticus!" I sobbed. " I'm scared! I was ready for a regular pair, but you're the exact opposite! You're dangerous and rough and even though pairs are supposed to love each other more than anything you act like you don't even care about me! I'm in the middle of no where and I miss my home with my fuzzy blanket and my favorite lavender honey tea," I blurted, tears pouring down faster. Atticus looked at me with wide, shocked eyes before throwing me over his shoulder. I yelped, surprised by the sudden action but too emotionally drained to question him.

He threw me on the bed, pulling the covers up to my chin before rushing over to the kitchen area. He filled a cheap, Styrofoam cup with water and placed a little square in it, then he popped it in the microwave. He refused to meet my curious gaze as he tapped his fingers against the counter top. When the microwave beeped, he took it out and walked over to me brisk fully. 

"Here. This is the best I could do," He grumbled, handing me cup. I took it cautiously. It was just a cup of standard green tea, but I couldn't help the smile that overtook my face. He watched me drink it, and slowly sat down beside me.

"Don't cry. I don't like that," He said, taking my cup when it was almost gone and placing it on his night stand. He tucked me into his side, turned off the lights and placed his head on top of mine, and once more began humming.

I knew then that my pair wasn't all that bad, but that revelation only opened up more confusing questions. This soft man could not just kill an innocent person in cold blood. What kind of mess was he in, really?