Sixteen

It was uncanny, how we were back where we once started, in that crappy motel that wasn't what it seemed. Atticus was ignoring me, he wouldn't even look at me, and honestly, I couldn't blame him.

"I'm sorry, Attie," I finally said. We were sitting on the bed, him on one side, me on the other, our backs to each other.

"I know it was stupid, and reckless and scary, but it's my family Atticus! A family I never got the chance to know, and my life is being flipped around. Every piece of who I thought I was, isn't true anymore, and I needed answers," I was begging him to understand, to see my side of things.

"That's not true though, Ivory. I am as much of a part of you as your family, and that never changed. We are a team, and you left me. You could have been killed, and you knew how I felt about the situation! You knew that I was scared of losing you, but you went anyway. You're selfish, and a liar. I can't even look at you right now," Atticus yelled, refusing to face me. His words hurt like knives.

"I understand if you want to... end things now, but I thought you should know that the risk I took wasn't for nothing," I stated, trying to remain strong.

"Blake is alive, Attie. He didn't die in that car accident, either."

At that, my pair whipped around, shock in his eyes.

"What?"

"It's true. His body was never found, and he was never buried. The Exotasi have him!" I said, remembering my aunt's words.

"How do you know?"

"Aunt Cheryl accidentally mentioned it while we were arguing."

"This is huge... why would the exotasi take a kid though?"

"I... don't know. Maybe he knew something?"

"No, they would have just killed him..." Atticus trailed off thoughtfully.

"We will tell Brown as soon as we get back tomorrow," he decided, turning back over. I hesitantly reached out a hand, touching his shoulder.

"I really am sorry, Attie. I didn't mean to scare you... I love you," I murmured, praying it would make his anger dissipate. His shoulders sagged a little, the tension leaving it. He turned to look at me, his hazel eyes somber.

"Don't you ever do that again, Ivory. I don't care what the reason, we go together. Pairs are a team, and how am I supposed to trust you to have my back if you lie to me?"

"You're right. I promise to never go behind your back again."

That's when he pulled me in for a hug, and the world was once again a better place. I relaxed into his embrace, happy.

"I love you," he whispered in my hair. I smiled. As long as I had him, I knew I could do anything.

______________________________________

"Doctor Brown," Atticus called as we entered his office.

It looked the same, with the old oak desk, behind it were two twin book cases, haphazardly piled full. His desk itself was also messy, covered in papers, files and books as far as the eye could see. A laptop was the only modern thing in sight, and was resting uneasily on a stack of books. The floor was wooden, but a Persian rug covered the floor underneath and around his work station. Two chairs sat facing him, and the old doctor was planted in a rolly chair, leaning over a manilla file. When he heard Atticus' call, he sat straight up and his old bones popped in indignation at the sudden movement.

"Atticus and Ivory, I'm glad to see you back safely," Brown said with a tired smile, but his eyes seemed to linger, as if he was scanning us for... something.

"Ivory has some important news," My pair said gravely. The Doctor's tired eyes looked at me, expectantly.

"Blake is alive, and the Exotasi have him," I said, my voice strong, even despite how scared I truly was.

"How can you be so sure?"

"My aunt told me, if that's who she really is. She confessed it to me after calling the Exotasi. I probably wouldn't have made it out of there, if it weren't for Atticus."

"But how could she have the power or knowledge to call upon the Exotasi to begin with? And why would they be looking for you?" Brown wondered. I blinked at him, stunned by his point. I hadn't even thought about that, too clouded on the chance of my brother might be alive. 

"I... Have no idea."

"Atticus, it could be possible that Ivory is the source the Exotasi were watching when you were sent to New York," Brown said thoughtfully.

I looked up at my tanned, dominant. His usual almond skin was pale, and his face looked as if he had been hit with a steel bat.

"Why?" I asked, since Attie was speechless.

"Maybe they know what we know? That your parents were an important part of this organization."

I bit my lip, nervous. I stepped closer to Atticus, taking in his body heat as some sort of comfort.

"What else do you know about Blake?"

"Aunt Cheryl said that she thought he was in a detention center in Washington, but that's all she said," I admitted.

"That's probably only half the truth. I'll get a team on it, but for now, you and your pair relax."

I nodded and after a worried glance at Atticus's frozen expression, and walked out of his office. He followed, but said nothing. As soon as we got to our room, I embraced him. His arms wrapped around me after a second, and he held me tightly.

"I just hate the idea that they could have gotten to you before I did, " He confessed, his head buried in my neck, his tall frame curved to reach mine.

"Moose, did you find her?" A familiarly annoying voice asked. We pulled apart to see Carmen coming out of the bed room, a towel wrapped up in her hair and wearing one of my pair's t-shirts.

"Oh," she said as she laid eyes on me, a look of disappointment flashing in her eyes, then annoyance.

"There you are Ivory, we were so worried," she said, her tone plastic.

"Why are you here?" I asked tightly.

"I've been keeping Atticus company after his little bird flew away. He was pretty down, and I couldn't just leave him on his own. "

"And you're wearing his t-shirt, because?" I hissed.

"It's comfy?" She blinked innocently.

"Carmen, leave," Atticus said.

"What?" She asked, stunned.

"Leave. You can't just pop in unannounced, Carmen. I have a pair now, and there's boundaries," Atticus sighed, exhausted. Carmen's flawless skin flushed red, and she flung the towel out of her hair and stormed out. She glared at me as she passed, then slammed the door behind her.

It was silent between us for a moment.

"Atticus, I know that you've said she's family,  so all I need is a yes or a no," I said, deadly calm.

"Did anything or has anything happened between you and Carmen? Specifically while I was gone?"

Atticus's hazel eyes looked surprised. His pretty orbs took in my expression before softening.

"No,  nothing ever happened."

I nodded, and with a feeling of relief, we both decided a nap was in order.