Twenty six

Blake's POV

I never questioned my role in the government. I always knew that what I was doing was right, that the rebellion was wrong.

Now, I wasn't so sure. My pair sat in front of me, her eyes were a light brown, almost like caramel. A slow smile was making it's way on her face, and it chased away the despair lingering in her eyes.

All I wanted to do was crush her to me, and hold her so close that she'd become apart of my very soul, but something held me there, the words of Jacob Shepard ringing in my ears.

"The rebels are all liars, murderers, and criminals. They've slaughtered carelessly, and for what? What's so wrong with life now?"

I knew that some things about our society was.... unjustifiable. I remember my parents discussing the growing inequality amongst dominants and recessives, but I guess I always just shrugged it off.

But as I looked at my sister, and Pair, I could see how this way of life would effect them. They were completely dependent on dominants. They wouldn't be able to buy a home, or start a business or even travel without a dominant.

They were constantly disrespected, basically treated like children along with their parent. If I died, my Pair would be left to fend for herself, at the mercy of this world.

I didn't want that. But was the Sarama the answer? They were violent in many of their quests, and I didn't want to assist in the taking of civilian lives. But if what Casey said was true, the government was already killing innocents.

Stronger proof was needed, not just witness statements.

"Do you have physical evidence?" I asked, looking to both Casey and Ivory.

Casey sighed, sitting back in her seat almost deflated.

"Not as much as we'd like. A lot of the reports simply state Infant Mortality Syndrome or something of that nature. Only in a handful of the cases did we get there before the Exotasi to get the real evidence."

"Have you gotten a hold of any of those shots? The ones they give the recessive babies?"

"No, but we're working on it."

"Is there any other incriminating evidence?"

"They approach powerful dominants, and try to black mail or bribe them into joining their cause. If they refuse, the Exotasi kidnap their families and either hold them hostage or kill them," Ivory said, her eyes hard as steel.

"Do you think that's what happened to our parents?" I asked her slowly.

She shook her head.

"No, they used to be the heads of the Sarama. They helped create it, but left after you were born. They went into hiding to give us a safe, normal life, but we were found. They killed mom and dad... made it look accidental. You were already showing potential as a strong dominant, so they took you, and faked your death. I don't know why I'm alive, or why they're searching for me now, but I lived with our aunt until I found Atticus."

I let out a breath, dragging my fingers through my hair. It was all... too much. I didn't know what to think or believe. I finally looked up and said.

"There's only one way to change everything and you guys are going about it the wrong way. You need to inform the people, and get them on your side, if they stop supporting the government it will soon crumble. You need hard evidence, and you need to go live with it. You need to play it on repeat, every where. Updates, video evidence, all of it. Make it unquestionable, and bring in the numbers. Call for a fight back."

I could hardly believe the words coming from my mouth, but I was convinced. Change was necessary. I could either fight it or help it grow.

Ivory and Casey looked at each other and nodded.

"I'll talk to Brown, but I think it could work. We just need the evidence," Ivory said, looking at the floor in deep thought.

"And how do you suppose we get it?" Casey asked, her eyes trailing to me.

She grinned cunningly, her eyes lighting up with a thought.

"I have an idea."

They turned to leave, their chairs scooting back harshly on the cement floor.

"Wait," I called.

They both turned around. Casey with hope in her eyes. I would have to work on us after the storm had passed.

"There's something else, Ivory," I said hesitantly.

She slowly nodded, sitting back down.

"I'll just wait outside," Casey said, her eyes cast downwards.

I instantly felt awful. I wanted to comfort her, keep her safe from every hurt feeling in the world, but I couldn't yet. This needed to be done.

"What is it?" Ivory asked, voice low.

"There's a reason the Exotasi don't like recessives, and it started with you."

Her face blanched, and shock quickly rushed over her.

I sighed.

"I thought it was a dream for the longest time, but now, I'm starting to see the truth behind it. Recessives are adapting. Changing. It's miniscule, but if honed, it could be a big problem for society as it is. What is one dominant ability we've never seen?"

She thought, but slowly shook her head, her eyes confused.

"No dominant can take away the other's gifts. They can mute it maybe, but no one can stop it. Until you."

She visibly flinched, leaning away from me.

"No, I'm a recessive. Atticus as my dominant can prove that," she said, shaking her head as if to reject the idea completely.

"Exactly. You are a recessive. You shouldn't be able to do that at all. But you can, and other recessives, if not all can too, if they learned how to use it."

"How do you know this?"

I leaned back in my seat, and swallowed.

"Like I said, I thought it was a dream, but I think... it was that night. We were outside, it was dark. You were just a baby, and you were crying and screaming. There were three men, going after mom and dad. They were unconscious. They had been in a car wreck or something, we had flew out of the car, and landed in the grass. I had shielded us from the impact. Suddenly you stopped crying, and your eyes glowed orange for a second. One of the men started cursing. He was trying to set the car on fire with his gifts, but it wasn't working. The others tried theres, but still nothing. They thought it was me at first, but then they realized... it was you. You were suppressing their powers. As a baby.

They tossed matched and gasoline onto the car, and took us both. I guess they must have given you to our aunt to be monitered, but now that you're a rebel, they're terrified. They know if recessives find out about this ability, and learn to use it, the dominant would no longer rule this world."

She sat quietly, her eyes wide with shock. We said nothing, until finally she stood up and walked out.

______________________________________

Dun dun dunnnnn and now you know why the Exotasi are so interested in Ivory!

Just a few chapters left guys! What a journey.... let me know what you think!

Love youuuuu

Oh, and if you guys are into poetry, you should check out my new book Love Behind Closed Doors. Its very special, and dear to my heart.