Twenty Nine

Carmen's POV

It was awkward. So very awkward. We had gone back to his place. His apartment was nice,spacious, if not a little empty. Tristen was always like that though,only saw need for the necessary. A couch, a Tv, A kitchen table. No decor, just the basics. 

I was sitting on the couch, and he was standing. We hadn't said a word. He was just staring at me,and I was looking at his hardwood floors as if they were the most interesting thing I had ever seen. I didn't know what to say. How could I get across how sorry I was? How much I had missed him? How I was wrong? Words didn't feel like enough.

"Where the hell have you been?" He finally said. 

I looked up at him sharply. HIs eyes were almost black in color, that's how pissed he was.

"Up north, Vermont mostly," I said softly. 

"I don't even know what the fucking say, Carmen. Why are you here?"

"I was wrong, Tristen. I was wrong to say those things to you, to run away."

He laughed, but it wasn't a happy sound.

"And you just figured that out?" 

"No, I always knew, but I... my job is really dangerous. I didn't want to bring you into that.I didn't think you could be happy with me, so I tried to forget about you."

"And now you think I could be happy?"

"I don't know," I said honestly. "But you're my pair. I have to try. I don't want to look back and know that I just let go of the one person who I'm meant to be with. I know it's selfish, and I'm sorry, but I don't want to run away anymore."

He was silent for a minute before he began pacing. I watched silently. 

"Do you know how hard it has been? Not having a single idea as to where you could be? To live everyday,only knowing that you're alive because my soul doesn't feel like it's been ripped out of my body? I couldn't even move on, for some unknown reason I could never love anyone else because all I could think about was not being good enough for you. Someone made to love me,couldn't even stomach me."

"That's not true! I did love you,Tristen. I just didn't want you to get hurt."

"Well I did! I hurt every single day. I moved out here to California so that maybe I could even just catch a glimpse of you,to know that you were safe. But you were already gone. I am not weak, Carmen. For all the shit you put me through, I haven't broke. I kept going. I am not Weak!"

I could feel tears welling up.

"I'm so sorry," I said, dropping my head in my hands.

"I don't need apologies. I need to know what you're going to do, to make it right."

I looked up,and there he was right in front of me. 

"What?"

"How are you going to fix it,Carmen? How will you make it up to me?"

"Anything. Just name it."

He grinned.

"It may take awhile. The rest of our lives possibly."

I let out a shaky laugh, relief flooding through me. 

"I think I can handle that, but there are things you should know before you decide you want to be with me." 

"Nothing is going to change the fact that your mine,Carmen. And I have waited long enough,nothing is going to change the fact that we belong together."

And then his lips were on mine, and it was perfect. His lips made my whole body thrum, an I couldn't help the need to be closer. I pulled him on top of me on the couch, and we both fell backward. He gasped and I pulled back. His weight felt comforting. My legs were between his,and his arms were propping himself up so that he didn't crush me. Usually, I prefered to be on top, but I'll give my pair this. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him to me.Our lips met, and I couldn't help but moan. He was everything and more. He grunted,and I realized. I could feel the heat simmering right above my heart. We were branded. 

"No more running away," He said, his lips going to my neck. I shivered. 

"I won't."

"Then you'll stay with me?"

"Actually, I was hoping that you would stay with me."

"In Vermont?" He asked,one eyebrow raised. 

I laughed.

"Yeah, and there's a lot more you need to know."

So I told him everything, about Atticus's parents, the Exotasi, the Sarama, The fight for Recessive Equality and the Exotasi's plan to get rid of Recessives all together. 

"They killed babies?" Tristen gasped, a look of horror on his face. Tristen loved kids, so I knew that the idea would be awful to him.

"Yeah, we have mothers back at home who had to watch their babies die right after giving birth. It's really awful, and even though we've stopped some,we can't stop it all. That's why-"

I was stopped by a sudden vision. I could see Ivory, she was talking to a man... her brother. 

They needed the shot. Whatever was in that shot the Exotasi gave the recessive babies,they needed it. If I could get it, then... I gasped. 

My eyes flung open, and Tristen hovered over me, concerned. 

"Carmen? Are you okay? You fainted."

"It was a vision," I said, sitting up slowly. 

"Your powers? What was it?"

"Hey, Tristen? All that I told you,do you believe me?"

"Yeah.I know you Carmen, you'd rather tell a harsh truth than a kind lie. And plus,this stuff seems too crazy to be made up."

"So would you join us? To help?"

His eyes seemed to soften.

"I became a doctor to help people, and I can't stand by as these kids are murdered. I'll go where you go."

I smiled, and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Good, because we have our first mission." 

________________________________________________________________________________

Yayy! Tristen and Carmen are together. What do you think? Do they make a good couple?

I am so excited, things are about to get super intense. What do you guys think? 

Thank you for reading, I love you guys sooo much.