Twenty

Washington was colder, if not just as cold as Vermont. There was snow on the ground when we landed. After we grabbed our luggage, we went looking for Benjamin Parks. I don't think either of us really knew where he was, but Atticus didn't seem worried. After a short amount of time, I spotted a man with a piece of cardboard, the word "Target" on it. I elbowed Atticus and he looked at him as well. H

The man had a shit eating grin, a shock of sandy hair and bright green eyes. He was shorter than Atticus, and more beefy, like a body builder. The sign looked miniscule in his big hands. Catching our gaze, he walked towards us.

"Tyler and Margaret?" He asked, his eyes twinkling. 

"That's us," Attie answered, taking my bag from me wordlessly.

"Did you like your ship name? Get it, because Margaret and Tyler put together: Target," He chuckled at his own brilliance. I rolled my eyes playfully at his joke.

"It's nice to meet you, Ben," I said with a smile.

"My lady," He did a dramatic little curtsy.

I giggled lightly, then looked up at Attie. He was looking at Ben with a calculating stare.

Benjamin Parks took us to his car,  where he drove us to his apartment: a two bedroom, one bathroom 25 minutes from the airport.

The place itself was shabby, but Benjamin seemed to take really good care of it, which made it look better than expected.

"You guys hungry? Thirsty?" He asked, opening his fridge as he looked at us with expectancy.

"Water?" I asked, taking off my thick coat.

He threw a bottle my way, which Attie caught effortlessly. He opened it, took a sip, then handed it to me. I smiled at him before grabbing it, gulping some down.

"You guys can have the guest bedroom, its a little small, but it'll do. Its still late, so I'd get some sleep before you start your mission, " Ben suggested, he himself going into the bedroom opposite to ours.

I looked to my pair who shrugged, then scooted me towards our door. I opened it for him, since he insisted on carrying both our bags. We took off our shoes wordlessly, and climbed into the bed. It wasn't as comfy as the one back home, but I was just happy to be with him.

He placed a kiss on my forehead as I scooted closer to him, basking in his warmth.

______________________________________

We were up early, much to my dismay. We started our mission by following Ben to work, who was working undercover at a secret Exotasi facility. At a glance, the place was a company that sold and recycled metal, but in all reality, it was really the business side of the evil branch. The employees who worked here made the necessary people... disappear. Or provided various types of cover-ups. As soon as Ben explained this to me, I knew that this was the perfect place to find out where Blake was.

A camera was placed discretely in the frames of Ben's glasses, so that we could record and watch his process.

"Why can't we go in with you?" I wondered as we pulled up across the street,  parking our rental van. 

"Both of you are known, especially Atticus. You'd likely be recognized almost immediately."

I sat back in my seat, disappointed. So we watched Ben enter the building. It was all pretty boring, all he did was sort through papers,  skimming over them quickly and writing emails. Then we went home,  and Ben made grilled cheese. We ate, and Ben and I had light conversation.

Atticus sat silently,  sitting as close to me as possible. I knew he was extremely focused on the mission, but something in me told me he didn't like Benjamin. The next day was much the same, except Ben received the news that there would be some important guests sniffing around for a mole at their location.

Benjamin, being that said Mole, would have to be careful tomorrow.

So we watched, like always, Atticus taking notes and I trying to keep up. We listened to Ben through the secret camera he had on him. Around 1:30, he met the special guests. It was two men, one was blonde and short, he wore a button up shirt, but casually kept the first two buttons undone.

"Do you recognize him?" Attie asked. I turned to look at him, watching his eyes follow the man intently. I looked back and realized I did. It was Derrick Kennedy, an exotasi member with mind reading powers.

"What about the man next to him?" I asked, switching my eyes over. This man was taller than Kennedy, and had light brown hair and a defined jaw. He was pretty, in a manly way.

"I'm not sure who he is... but he's a shield," Atticus narrowed his eyes at the stranger.

Derrick went to shake Benjamin's hand, and introduced himself. The nameless man did the same, while Atticus sat on the edge of his seat, fishing for a name.

"Blake Mammon, at your service."

I froze. I took the time to look over him again and saw it, he did look familiar. He looked like me.

"Don't even think about it, kitten. There's many Blakes out there," he hissed.

But I don't think any of them looked like that.