Thirteen

I watched as Atticus flipped a pancake. Usually, this is my favorite thing about living with Atticus. Something about him cooking was just insanely attractive, and watching him is usually a huge highlight of any day. Right now, all I can think about is that my parents were murdered, and that I have a brother I never knew about. How could he just disappear? Why wouldn't the Rarama not look for us? The Rarama is the official name for the rebellion group Dr.Brown, Mom and Dad made, I found that out while I was recovering from my episode in the infirmary.

"If you think any harder I think you'll pop a blood vessel," Atticus said wistfully. I quickly turned my attention back to him, seeing him look at me with his cocky little smirk.

"You're going to burn the pancakes," I mutter. I wasn't really hungry any way, though. Attie was the one who insisted on me eatting. He flipped another pancake before turning to me.

"I don't have all the answers, Kitten, but I might have some," He said softly, some sincerity leaking into that smile. I nodded, slowly.

"What do you know about my family?"

"I know that your parents truly believed that Recessives were just as amazing as Dominants. They fought hard to make the world equal for both you and your brother. They were legends, but they left to keep you guys safe. We commemorate them a long with your brother, and you too every year," He said, sliding some pancakes my way. They were vegan, without eggs or milk. He put some organic maple syrup on it,and itglistened golden on the mountain of yummy goodness. I'm not going to lie, they looked amazing.

"Why would they even think I was dead in the first place, and how do they even know Blake is dead?" I asked,taking a bite of my breakfast.

"I'm not sure. All our intel said that the both of you were dead, plus all the newspapers and news channels reaffirmed the same thing. Obviously, now we know it was just a cover up," He drank his coffee, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"I need to go see my aunt," I decide. "She raised me after... after my parents passed away. She'll have answers."

"No," Atticus stated, his tone and body going rigid. "Absolutely not."

I looked at him in shock. What?

"What do you mean, no? I need to go to find out what happened, Atticus. This isn't up for debate," I told him, glaring and pushing my partially eaten pancakes away. He pushed them back towards me with a matching glare.

"You can find anything that you need here," He replied stubbornly.

"Anything? The Rarama didn't even know I was alive until yesterday and it's been over 16 years," I pointed out, rolling my eyes.

"It's not safe, Ivory."

"Then what was what the point of all of that training? To have something to occupy my time so I couldn't plan an escape?" I yelled, standing up angrily.

"No, it was so you could protect yourself,Ivory! I won't always be around to save you!" He shouted back.

"Yes, because I, the weak reccesive, couldn't survive without you, right?"

"You know that's not what I meant."

"Then why do you think you can stop me?"

"You are my Pair, Kitten. Mine. Mine to protect, mine to take care of," He was lifting me of my feet with his powers and I was levitating towards him.

"Put me down, Atticus Sanchez. You may have forecully branded me, but that does not make me yours," I ground out between my teeth. His hazel eyes turned to a hard, beautifully angry stone.

"You are mine, Ivory Martin, because when you were made, I was made to complete you. And till the day I die, I will put your life before mine,and if that means locking you up here so that the Exotasi won't take another person I love, then that is what I will do," He said, each word getting stronger until he was gripping me in his arms. We were both breathing heavily as he held me, still floating so that we were eye level with each other. Then it clicked.

"Wait,"I said, realization dawning on me.

"Did you just say that you loved me?"

He seemed to freeze to. Did I love him? We've only known each other for a month, but did I ever want to be without him? I knew the answer,and it was no. I didn't want to go if he didn't go with me.

"I love you too," I found myself whispering. His hazel eyes were frozen. He looked shocked,  stunned actually. I leaned forward on instinct, and pressed my lips against his.

And everything was fire, and warmth,  but not on the outside.  I could feel it in my chest, and I felt whole. His arms tightened around me, and there was no space between us and I felt every inch of him against me.  I slipped my fingers into his soft curls, and I felt his mouth move from mine down to my neck and I let out a surprised gasp.

"I do love you, Ivory." He mumbled against my skin, his hot breath warming the damp spot from his wet kisses. I shivered as I arched my neck.  

"And that terrifies me." He finished,  crashing his lips down to mine.

The kiss slowly turned gentle, and I drifted onto a blissful cloud. I mean,  I drifted on air with the help of Atticus's powers.  I pulled away slowly, and looked around us. Everything in the room was floating, along with  the bar stools, the couch, the coffee table and the TV.  I think Atticus noticed too, because slowly everything drifted to the ground, including us. 

"Let's go to bed, Kitten," He whispered softly.  I gave him a small smile. Maybe he will learn to forgive me.