Chapter 40

I text Nick and ask him to come over tonight and luckily he agrees. He wouldn't bring Kelly with him, right? God maybe I should have made that clear.

I take a long shower, thinking of what I should say to him. Danielle was right; I need to just tell him how I feel before something else happens.

I shut off the shower and grab my towel, wrapping it around my body. I carefully hop out and sit on the edge of the tub as I take the plastic bag off of my leg.

I get up and brush my tangled wet hair after wiping the steam off of my mirror. I look tired, and I consider putting makeup on but I know Nick doesn't care if i have it on or not.

I throw on a pair of black leggings and a white v neck shirt and head out into the bedroom. I grab my crutches and go out to the kitchen where Danielle is sitting with Valentina and Alena who are coloring with crayons.

They have been spending a lot of time with their grandma so that's why they haven't been around as much. Their grandma loves it and it gives Kevin and Danielle some alone time. Well; until I came here anyway.

"Hi girls." I say to them. They smile and giggle at me before putting their attention back to their pages.

The door opens and Nick walks in. My breath catches at the sight of him. He smiles at me and then looks at his nieces and smiles bigger, walking over to them.

They throw their crayons down and take turns hugging their uncle. Seeing him with them makes my heart swell. He's such a great uncle, and I know he will make a great father someday.

He rolls up the sleeves of his plaid shirt, stands back up and walks over to me.

"What's up?" He asks, clearly unaware of why I asked him here.

"Come with me." I say.

He follows me out to the back yard, where I take a seat on the wicker couch. He stands in front of me, rubbing his hands together. I can tell that he is nervous.

"What's going on, Trin?" He asks, taking a seat beside me.

Butterflies form in my stomach and I bite at my already bitten down fingernail. I don't say anything and gaze at him. He smiles warmly, and I start to feel calmer.

"What is it?" He asks, turning to face me completely.

I look at him, scanning over every inch of his face and he watches me as I do so.

"You're being weird." He says, amused. I throw my head back and laugh.

"Sorry." I say, "Um where do I start. Joe and I are no longer together." I blurt out.

His eyes widen for a second and then he contains himself, "Why?" he asks slowly.

"After everything we had put each other through, being together didn't feel right." I explain.

He rubs the back of his neck, "for real?"

"Yes."

"And you brought me here to tell me just that?" He asks, and I know that he knows there's more.

"No. I wanted to tell you something else." I admit, biting at my nail once more.

He doesn't say anything so I take a deep breath, and let it out.

"Being with Joe and then seeing you with Kelly, made me realize my feelings for you. It kills me inside to see you with someone else." Tears flood my eyes at the thought.

A see a wave of emotions crash over him, "wh-why?" He only stutters when he is very overwhelmed by something and I bite my lip.

"Because I was stupid to deny what I feel for you. I'm in love with you, Nick." I say and i feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, saying it out loud.

"Trinity." He breathes.

"And I know you're with Kelly, and I have bad timing. But I just had to let you know. And I understand if she is who you want to be with."

"Are you kidding?" He asks, grabbing my hand. The contact surprises me, but the electricity between us doesn't.

"Kelly has been... a distraction." He admits, "as horrible as that sounds. But nobody can compare to you, and how I feel about you."

"Really?" I ask.

He smiles and nods, "of course."

He stands up then, letting go of my hand. Confused, I stand up too. "What are you doing?"

"I need to go to Kelly and end things with her." He says.

"Right now?" I ask.

"There's no way I can be with you a second longer and not kiss you, so yeah. I must be single and soon." He says, laughing.

"Oh." I say and smile. The thought of kissing him makes me feel suddenly feverish on this cold fall day.

"I'll be right back, I promise." He says, and I believe him.

He leaves and I go back inside. Danielle looks at me with concern and leaves her girls at the table to join me by the door.

"That was quick." She says.

"Yes well he went to break up with Kelly." I say.

"Really?" She says, suddenly giddy.

I smile big and nod, "Yeah, which is sweet that he wants to break it off before something happens between me and him."

"Aw, he's sweet."

"Mhmm." I say, smiling.

"Well you can color with us until he comes back." She says and heads back over to the table.

I sit down with them and color in a page, my mind wandering to thoughts of Nick. He wants to be with me. He didn't even hesitate.