Chapter 16

I tap my fingers on my kitchen counter as I wait for headlights to pull into my driveway. Joe is picking me up and I've never been more nervous. He said he would be here at 8:00 and it's 8:05 which is no big deal.

But when it hits 9:00 I start to get nervous. Did he change his mind? what if he decided Jenny is who he wants to be with?

I sit down on the couch, my legs shaky. I check my phone but I don't have any messages from him. Maybe he's just running late.

By ten, I lay down on my bed, staring up at the dark ceiling. Maybe he just forgot about our plans, though he's the one that set them up. Or he's with Jenny.

I decide to close my eyes for a moment and slowly drift off to sleep. A knock on the door wakes me up. I look at the clock and it's one in the morning.

I jump out of bed and run to the front door. I rub the sleepiness out of my eyes before opening the door. Joe is standing there, his dark circles under his eyes visible.

"I'm sorry." he says.

I bite my lip, tears stinging my eyes, "I thought you weren't going to come."

"I'm so sorry I'm late. I just needed time to get myself together." he says.

"Come in." I say, stepping out of his way so he can enter. He walks over to the couch and takes a seat. He runs his hands through his hair leaning back.

"You okay?" I ask him, taking my seat beside him.

"Jenny didn't take it well, which was expected. It was hard to see her like that, you know?"

I nod, "I can imagine."

"But it had to be done."

"You don't regret it?" I ask, scanning his face. He locks his eyes on me and shakes his head.

"No, I don't."

"Because if you do, I under"-

"Stop." he says, bringing his hand to my cheek. My skin tingles under his touch.

"Okay." I say. He takes his hand away but inches closer to me.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

I nod, "of course."

"I'm sorry I made you worry all night. That wasn't my intention."

"It's okay."

"No, it's not." he says before wrapping his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. I sigh against his chest and take a deep breath. He smells so good all of the time.

"I'm glad you are here." I tell him.

"So am I." he says.

I move my head away so I can look at him. He smiles weakly and I can tell how tired he must be.

"You look exhausted." I tell him.

"Just a little." he says with a laugh.

"But i selfishly don't want you to leave." I admit.

"I don't want to leave either." he says as he squeezes me tighter.

"Stay with me?" I ask.

"Of course." he says.

We get up and go into my room. I go into the bathroom and throw on my pajamas. When I get back into my room, Joe is lying on my bed, his hands behind his head. I feel my heart pounding in my chest at the sight of him here with me like this.

I walk over and sit down on my side of the bed. I shut my light off and roll over to face him. He turns over to face me and smiles, the moonlight from the window illuminating his face.

"Hi." he says and I giggle, making him smile wider.

"Hi." I say.

He reaches over and grabs my waist, pulling me slowly to him. I nuzzle up into his neck and he holds me close to him, running his fingers through my hair.

After a few minutes, I bring my face to his, our noses almost touching, "I'm so happy you are here." I whisper.

"Me too." he whispers back, touching his nose to my cheek. He rests his hand on my waist and I feel that familiar fire.

He slowly leans in, his lips brushing against mine. I can't believe this moment I've wanted forever is about to happen. I lean in, filling the space between us and he presses his lips to mine.