Chapter 28

Danielle and I arrive at her house when our girls day is over.

I take a seat in the kitchen as she grabs us each a can of soda from the fridge.

"Thanks for today." I say as I take the soda from her. She takes a seat across from me and struggles to open the van with her freshly done acrylic nails.

"Anytime Trin."

The front door opens and in comes the three Jonas brothers. I look away immediately and pretend the nutrient facts on my drink is super interesting.

"Hey guys." Danielle says.

"What's up." I hear Joes voice say and my stomach sinks.

"How was your day?" Kevin asks before giving Danielle a kiss on the cheek.

"Great." She says with a huge smile.

I see the back of Joe as he opens the fridge to get himself something to drink. I can feel Nick's gaze on me but I don't return it.

Joe turns around and I look away, not wanting to have to make eye contact with him. I stay silent as the four of them chat about their day.

Nick sits next to me at the table and i tense up. I look at him and he smiles.

"Hey." He says.

"Hi." I say back.

"We should all have dinner here." Kevin suggests.

"I got to head out, but you guys have fun." Joe says.

"I can go." I say quickly. I don't want him to think he can't be around his family because of me.

"No really, I have stuff I have to do. It's fine." He says with a small smile although he avoids looking me directly in the eye.

"See you later." Kevin says.

Joe leaves but he also leaves behind a sick feeling in my stomach. I don't like the way things are between us. I know he feels guilty and that he can't be around me and I hate it. I miss my best friend.

"You okay Trin?" Nick asks.

I nod but I don't say anything.

"Should we order pizza?" Kevin asks.

"That sounds good." Danielle says back.

Kevin calls the pizza order in, and the four of us go out on the back porch to wait for it to be delivered. Nick sits beside me on the picnic table, with Kevin and Danielle across from us.

"How's your dad doing?" I ask Kevin and Nick.

"He's improving with his physical therapy so that's good." Kevin answers.

"Good." I say.

Danielle goes inside and comes back out with four glasses of iced tea. She hands them out and we sit in an awkward silence. I sigh, wishing things felt like how they used to.

The doorbell rings through the house, the noise traveling out of the open back door.

Kevin jumps up, "pizzas here!" He says with excitement as he jogs into the house.

Danielle smiles as she watches him. I've always admired them as a couple. They love each other so much and have stuck by each other. A love like theirs is hard to come by. We knew as soon as they met that they were going to end up getting married.

Kevin comes back out with the food, and we finish the pizza before it even cools off. I guess we were all starving.

Kevin and Nick engage in conversation as Danielle and I listen. I can't help but think this is what it would be like if I was dating Nick; the four of us hanging out together. But it could be like this if I were with Joe, too. I bite the inside of my cheek at the thought.

I watch Nick as engages in conversation, his eyebrows raising in surprise at something Kevin says, but then his lips curl into a smile and he laughs and I can't help but think how adorable he is. His eyes find mine and I smile before looking away from him.

"Thanks for dinner guys. I should probably get going." I say.

"Aw are you sure? We could have a fire." Danielle says.

"Thanks but I'm sure. I'm pretty tired." I admit.

"I'll walk you out." Nick says and stands up after me. I want to tell him no, but I know he'd do it anyway.

I give Danielle a hug goodbye and pat Kevin on the shoulder before following behind Nick to the driveway where I'm parked.

We get to the car and Nick leans against the driver side door.

"Are you okay Trin?"

I sigh, "I'm fine Nick."

"You don't seem like it."

"I'm fine." I repeat.

"I don't believe you, but okay." He says.

I punch him playfully in the arm and he smiles, "just leave it." I warn nicely.

"See you tomorrow?" He asks.

"Yes Nick." I say and he smiles before moving out of my way.

I arrive at my house just after dark. I shut and lock the door behind me before kicking off my shoes, letting them land wherever they please.

I walk to the kitchen slowly, all energy drained from me. Thoughts of Joe swirl through my mind and I wish I could just flip a switch and shut them off.

I grab a bottle of water and head into my bedroom, setting it on my nightstand. I walk over to my wooden dresser and grab a pair of pajamas out of it. I slip them on and fall into bed, not even moving the covers. I stare up at the plain white ceiling until I realize I haven't shut my light off yet.

I roll over and flip the light switch on the wall and stay on my side. I close my eyes tightly, hoping sleep will come. But all I can picture is Joe, and his eyes. He has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen.

I sigh out loud, almost too loudly and roll over onto my stomach. I cover my ears as if that will drown out my own thoughts but it doesn't work. Another sleepless night is ahead.