Chapter 14

Joe picks me up and we drive the the wedding venue in silence. The sky is darkening, letting us know the storm is approaching. Hopefully we can get in and out of here before it begins.

We turn down a dead end dirt road with trees on both sides. We drive about a mile down to a lone barn. It doesn't look like much on the outside but I can only imagine how it looks on the inside. Behind it is a large field that looks like it goes on forever.

"This place is really nice." I say as we get out of the car.

Joe runs a hand through his curly hair and I wish he wouldn't do that. "Yeah it is." He responds.

I follow him to the side door. He pulls a key out of his pocket and unlocks it, opening the door to a dimly lit barn. There are tables set up on one side where the reception will be, a dance floor towards the back and then where the actual wedding will be held. It's a very large barn.

"Wow." I say, walking over to where the seats are set up for the guests to watch the ceremony.

"Yeah." Joe says, though his tone is off.

"I always used to think it would be nice to get married in a rustic barn like this." I admit. I remember I wrote all about my dream wedding in one of my diaries as a kid. Of course I would write that Joe was the one I wanted to marry.

"Really?" He asks, taking a seat on one of the chairs. I shrug, wishing I never brought it up.

"You've never really talked about that stuff with me." He says, looking at me with kind eyes. I look away, biting my lip. We came here for a reason, and that's what I need to focus on.

"What were the decorations we are supposed to go over?" I ask, changing the subject.

He sighs but stands up, walking over to the reception area. The tables are lined with white table cloths and each table has a centerpiece with white daisies.

"Jenny said something about wondering if these all went together and if daisies were the right choice. And then if it's too simple."

I look around and shrug, "it looks good to me." I say.

"You know Jenny, everything has to be perfect."

"Right." I say, running my fingertips along a table.

It starts to downpour, the noise loud on the roof. A loud crash of thunder echoes through the walls and I jump.

"Wow that came on quick." Joe says, looking through the window on the door.

"Should we go?" I ask.

"We probably should wait it out." He says, "it will only get worse."

Another crash of thunder sounds right after a flash of lightening. I walk over and take a seat at a table, trying to ignore my anxiety that is building. I don't like thunderstorms and I don't want to be stuck here with him for this long.

He takes a seat beside me, "Are you okay?" He asks.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask.

"You always hated storms." He says lowly, looking down at his hands that are set in front of him on the table. I find it sweet how much he remembers about me.

"I'll be okay." I say, as another crash of thunder shakes the barn.

"Hopefully It will be over soon."

"Yeah, hopefully." I say, almost too quickly. He sighs and I know where this is going.

"You can't stand being around me, can you?" He asks.