Chapter 32

I fall asleep and wake up to an empty room. I look out towards the window that goes into the hallway and see Nick and Joe talking. I can tell by the expression on Joes face that their conversation isn't going well.

I look away just before I hear my door open. Joe walks in alone, and I watch Nick walk by the window and out of sight.

I raise an eyebrow, "Was that Nick?"

Joes smile turns into a frown quickly, "Yeah, he wanted me to tell you hi but he couldn't stay."

Nick hasn't visited me since I've been awake. Is there something going on I don't know about? Maybe I don't want to know.

"Oh." I say.

"The doctor told me you should be okay to go home tomorrow. But it's going to be hard for you to get around on crutches. Kevin and Danielle offered to have you stay with them, so Danielle can help you."

"That's nice of them."

"I wanted to ask you to stay with me. But I didn't know if I should... because of well everything."

I nod, "right. We still have a lot to talk about."

"Right." Joe says, "So you will stay with them then?"

"Sure, just until I'm used to getting around by myself."

"Great." He says, "I'm going to go get us lunch."

"Okay, thanks." I say and he touches my arm before walking out of the room.

We do have a lot to talk about. Is he going to tell me he wants to be with me now that his secret is out? Is he going to tell me he's in love with me? What about Nick?

Joe brings us sandwiches and we eat in silence until Danielle comes. She tells me how excited she is for me to be staying with them and that she's going to set up the guest room for me.

Joe leaves to get us coffee and she takes a seat on my bed beside me, "how are things with Joe?" She whispers even though he can't hear us.

"We haven't talked about, well you know. We are waiting until I'm out of here and feeling better."

"That makes sense."

"Why hasn't Nick visited?" I ask her.

"He has." She states calmly.

"So I have heard, but not since I've been awake."

"Oh he has just been busy." She says, avoiding eye contact.

"I don't believe you." I say.

She sighs, "it's not my place Trin."

"What do you mean?"

She opens her mouth to speak but Joe walks in, and that ends our conversation.

"Here you go." He says to Danielle as he hands her a coffee.

"Thank you." She says, grabbing it from him, "but I should get going. I'll see you in the morning Trin."

"Bye Danielle." I say as she walks out.

Joe takes a seat beside me and runs his hand through his hair. The air is thick between us but we never address it. It's like we are at a standstill until we talk about what happened. But what will change when we do?

The next morning Kevin and Danielle pick me up and drive me to their place. I'm wobbly as I get onto my crutches as I get out of the car, but luckily Kevin is there to catch me, causing us both to giggle.

"I got you." He says with a smile.

"thanks Kev." I say before walking in front of him to the house, slowly but steady.

I get seated on their couch, and feel slightly dizzy from the whole trip. I'm still weak, and my concussion is still lingering.

Danielle goes into the kitchen to join Kevin and suddenly Nick comes down the stairs. He smiles big at me, and I can't help but smile back.

He walks over and leans down, giving me a hug. I hug back, relieved that he's not avoiding me.

"You look good." Nick says, taking a seat on the recliner next to me.

"I don't feel it." I say with a giggle.

"I'm sorry I didn't visit you much at the hospital. It was just too hard for me to see you like that."

"It's okay. I was worried you were well... avoiding me."

He shakes his head, "I told you, I'm here no matter what."

"thanks Nick." I say.

"Please never get hurt again. I was so scared that you were..." he starts but gets choked up. I scan his face as he wipes a tear away. It's not like Nick to show his emotion like that. My whole body turns warm.

I put my hand over his and he smiles weakly, "I'm sorry." I say lowly.

He stands up then, "Joe is coming over soon. I'll make sure I'm gone before he comes. I know you have a lot to talk about."

He isn't good at faking his enthusiasm, and i start to feel guilty. All I've ever wanted was for Joe to love me. But now, knowing Nick loves me too, makes me feel... confused.