Chapter 24

Authors note: IMPORTANT!! If any of you get the chance to go to a Jonas brothers concert... DO IT. I literally had the best night of my life. My seats were far away, but that didn't matter. They put on one heck of a show. Like, I've been a fan of them for 15 years. Did I ever think I'd get a chance to see them live? No. And then they broke up. So I thought my chance was forever gone. And then here we are. Just wow!! Thanks to them and their amazing concert, I had more ambition to write. And thank you guys for sticking around and still reading! I read all your comments and love hearing from you.

——
"Are you asleep?" I hear Nicks voice fill the room.

I open my eyes but it's dark. The only light is from the moon outside the window. We are still on the couch, but his arm is around my shoulders and my head on his chest. His heartbeat is slow and steady against my ear.

"Yes." I say simply, though I feel like I could fall back to sleep at any moment.

"You're dozing off, lets go to bed." He says before gently sitting up. I sit up too, searching for his face in the moonlight. He's looking at me, his face wears a welcoming smile.

"Okay." I say and follow him up the wooden staircase.

We stop at the first room; the master bedroom. He rubs the back of his neck and looks down at the floor.

"You can have this room. The bed is big and comfy."

"What about you?" I ask.

"I can sleep down the hall."

I raise an eyebrow, "isn't it just bunk beds in the other rooms?"

He shrugs, "Yeah but I'll be fine."

I want to tell him to stay with me, because I don't want to be alone. There's something about his presence that makes me feel so calm, and like nothing else matters. I didn't realize he made me feel that way until now. I like him, and I know I shouldn't because of Joe. But Joe has brought me nothing but pain and sadness, no matter how much I try to show him my love for him, he doesn't return it.

But they are brothers, and I don't want to do anything to come between them, and I don't want to hurt either one of them. Because no matter how much Joe has hurt me, I would never want to hurt him.

"You in there Trin?" Nick asks.

I look up at him and he smiles at me.

"What? Sorry." I say.

"You spaced out there for a minute. You're really tired." He says before resting his hand on my shoulder and giving me a squeeze. He removes it but the warmth from his touch lingers.

I look at him and bite the inside of my cheek. Why do I feel so different around him so fast?

I grab onto the door knob but stop before looking at him.

"Will you stay? At least until I fall asleep." I say.

He nods, "Of course."

I go to one side of the bed and he goes to the other. I grab the comforter and sheet, moving them down so I can get in. He watches me and then does the same thing.

The bed is a king, so there's plenty of space between us. I look over at him, and with his hands rested on his chest he stares up at the ceiling.

I lean over to the nightstand and turn out the light. I feel the bed move beside me but it stops as quickly as it began. Did he roll over and face the other direction? Is he okay with this? A million thoughts run through my head but one stands out from the rest; I want his arms around me.

I push the thoughts out of my head. I already hurt him once. I can't act on these feelings, because what would happen if Joe came running in and confessed his love for me? Would i accept it, or would I choose to stay with Nick? Why don't I know the answer to that?

Who am I kidding? Joe isn't going to do that. No matter how much I wanted him to, he doesn't love me or he would have said it.

"Nick?" I whisper.

"Yes." He says back.

"Thanks for bringing me here with you. You really helped me feel better." I say. I bring my hands to my sides.

"I'd do anything to make you happy." He says, and I believe that wholeheartedly.

Suddenly, I feel his fingertips brush against mine. I don't move my hand, but let my pinky brush against his. After a moment, he grabs my hand and I grab back. He rubs his thumb over mine and I slowly drift off to sleep.