Chapter 1

I approach the apartment that Joe shares with his younger brother Nick. I grew up next door to them, our parents were close friends and we were always together. They also have an older brother, his name is Kevin. He is married now and has two kids, so we don't see him as much. 

I walk in without knocking. It's basically my second home. Actually, i think i'm here more than my own place.

Nick is seated at the kitchen island, a laptop placed in front of him. He looks over the top of it at me and smiles, "Hey Trin." he says.

"What's up, Nick?" I ask him, walking over and leaning on the counter beside him.

"Just the usual, studying." He says. Nick is in college. He is a year younger than i am. I never attended college, i always said it wasn't for me. Joe graduated from college last year.

"Gross." I say, leaving my spot beside him and walking over to the kitchen cabinet. I grab a clear glass out of it and turn on the sink, filling it up halfway. I catch Nick watching me as i take a sip. He looks away quickly and clears his throat.

"So where is Joe?" I ask.

"With Jenny, of course." He says.

"Of course." I repeat. I've never told Nick how i feel about Joe because well, i think he would be foolish if he didn't know. Then again, Joe is too blind to see it too. 

Well, now anyway. When we were juniors in high school, one of my best friends straight up told Joe how i felt about him. It was super embarrassing and the look on Joe's face made it very obvious he didn't feel the same way. I quickly told him that i once had a little crush on him, but those feelings are dead and gone. He was so relieved. I'll never forget the moment i lied straight to his face.

"Trin, i think you should hear this from me..." Nick begins but is quickly interrupted by Joe and Jenny walking in, huge smiles plastered on there face. I watch them over my glass as i take another sip.

"Guys!" Joe says, his arm around her waist tightly. 

The shiny new diamond ring displayed on her left hand tells me what they are about to say, and i feel as though i could throw up into my cup. I set it down, my hands shaking. How am i going to handle this?

Nick gets up and walks over to me. His eyes meet mine and the looks he gives me just confirms that he knows how i feel about Joe, and what this news is going to do to me. He squeezes my arm gently before turning around to face the two of them. He stands so close i can feel his arm press against mine.

"Guys... I proposed to Jenny and she said yes!" He says, his eyes wide with excitement. She holds up her hand to display the ring and lets out a little squeal. 

"That's awesome bro!" Nick says, walking up to hug him. I suddenly wish he hadn't let my side. Okay Trinity, you have to step forward and congratulate her. You can do this.

"That's so great Jenny." I say, walking over to her. I give her a quick hug and back up. I look at Joe and pray he won't approach me but of course he engulfs me in a hug. I hug him tightly, his cologne swarming me. 

"I'm so happy for you." I whisper into his chest.

"Thanks Trin." He says into my hair. I bite my lip, praying that i can hold back the tears long enough. He loves her, he really loves her. He is going to marry her. He will never feel the same way about me that i feel for him. I guess i have known it all along, but wasn't willing to accept it.

"You two should go celebrate, Trin and I were just leaving." Nick says as Joe and i break apart. Joe and I both look at Nick in confusion.

"We were?" I ask.