Chapter 30

Authors note: hey guys. I hope you are all still enjoying this story. Please comment and star it to let me know you want me to keep it going! You're the best and thanks for reading!

I pull into Kevin and Danielle's house with my stomach feeling like it's in knots. Nick and Joes cars are both here already.

I smooth my shirt down when I get out of the car and brush my fingers through my hair. I hear the door click open before I reach the step.

Danielle opens the door with a huge grin on her face. "Hi Trin." She says as she gives me a hug.

"Hey." I say.

"Come with me. We are out in the yard." She says.

The three boys are seated around a fire, drinks in hand. They are laughing about something one of them said. I look at Danielle, hoping she would see how desperately I am wanting to turn around and run away but she just nods at me.

I'm greeted by each of the boys saying hey and I smile in their decoration as I take a seat on a lone chair beside Kevin and Danielle.

I look at Joe and he's looking at me over his bottle as he takes a long sip. Thoughts swirl through my head of the time he and I got drunk in my apartment and the moment we had. It feels like years ago.

"Want a drink?" Kevin asks. Normally I would say no, but I have to do something to calm my nerves.

"Sure." I say.

He gets up and grabs me a wine cooler out of the icebox and hands it to me. I thank him before opening it and taking a sip. It's fruity and not very strong, but it will do.

"How's life guys?" Danielle asks.

"Good." Joe says casually.

"Fine." Nick says and silence fills the air.

"Good talk." Kevin says and the four of us laugh.

The darker it gets, the chillier the air is. Though the fire is warm, I wish I had brought a sweatshirt. I cross my arms against my chest and fight back a cold chill.

"Are you cold Trin?" Nick asks. I turn to him and smile warmly, shaking my head no.

"Liar." He says with a smile. "Here." He says, and hands me his sweatshirt.

I take it cautiously and hear Joe shift in his seat. I look at him but he's looking at the ground.

I pull it over my head and feel warm instantly, and Nicks cologne fills the air.

"Thanks." I say.

"It looks better on you." Nick says before taking a drink.

I look at Kevin and he stares long and hard at Joe. I look at my hands, feeling uncomfortable.

"Hey Joe, can you come with me for a second? I just remembered we have stuff for s'mores and I need a hand." Kevin says and stands up.

Joe looks at him suspiciously but gets up and joins him anyway.

Danielle starts up a conversation with mainly Nick because I can't focus enough on them to pay attention. Something is up with Joe, and I want to know what.

Why did Kevin awkwardly pull him away? I can't stop myself from being nosy and after a few minutes go by and they still aren't back, I stand up. Nick and Danielle look up at me.

"I just have to use the bathroom, I'll be right back."

"Sure thing." Danielle says and they go back to their conversation.

I walk slowly into the house and can hear their voices as I enter the long hallway. I tip toe towards the kitchen, and stop when I can hear them clearly.

"Do you think I'm stupid Joe? You couldn't even keep a calm reaction at him giving her his sweatshirt." Kevin says.

They are talking about me and Nick...

"Kevin, just drop it." Joe says, clearly annoyed.

"No. Tell me the truth." Kevin says.

"I can't." Joe says so lowly I have to step forward.

"What's really going on Joe?" Kevin says in a more calmly matter.

"Just leave it alone." Joe warns.

"You're not fooling anyone." Kevin says back.

"Fine!" Joe whisper yells.

"You want to be with her and you aren't letting it happen. Why?"

My heart is beating so loud I'm afraid that they might hear it.

"I think I should go." I hear Joe say, and there footprints move to the front of the house. I move slowly behind them and am just a room away now.

"Joe!" Kevin says.

"Fine! You want to hear the truth?" Joe says, clearly pissed off.

Kevin doesn't respond and I start to feel light headed.

"Of course I want to be with her. I lied. I love her so much Kevin." He says and I hear his voice break, "I love her more than I've ever loved anything."

I cover my mouth.

"Then why won't you tell her that?" Kevin asks.

Joe's voice breaks and I can tell he's crying, "because Nick is my family, my best friend. And he loves her too, I couldn't hurt him like that. You know I'd do anything to protect him."

Tears fill my eyes at his words. He said he loved me; words I've been dying for him to say. And he doesn't want to hurt Nick. I can only imagine how much this has been hurting him.

"Joe..." Kevin says.

"What are you doing?" Nick's voice comes from behind me. I spin around in surprise.

Nick looks at me with incredible confusion. Kevin and Joe walk in, obviously hearing Nick speak. Joe looks at me in horror, his face wet. He knows I heard what he said.

"What's going on?" Nick says, looking from my tear stained face, to Joes and then to Kevin who is frozen.

I turn around and book it for the front door, running as fast as I can.