Chapter 31

I run out and keep running, unaware of my surroundings as I cross the street and feel something hit me and everything goes blank.

I hear voices but all I see is darkness. I realize my eyes are closed and they feel too heavy to open. I breathe in and out slowly, trying to find the strength to open my eyes.

"I don't know what I would do if we lost her." I hear a voice say.

"I know Joe." A female voice says. It takes me a moment but it's click that it's Danielle.

"This is my fault." Joe says, and I realize I barely recognized his voice because of his somber tone.

"The last thing she would want is for you to blame yourself. You are too hard on yourself as it is."

I only hear a sigh as I response and the conversation ends. I try to opens my heavy eyes but to no prevail. I quickly drift back off to sleep.

——

I open my eyes easily this time, the grogginess still there but nowhere near as bad. I blink multiple times, the sunlight shining through the blinds burns.

Finally, I adjust and take in my surroundings. The hospital room is small and very bright. I'm hooked up to an IV but that seems to be it. I look down and theirs a cast on my leg. I can feel pain throughout my body but it is not unbearable, which I assume is because of pain medicine.

I turn my head slowly to the right and Joe is seated in a chair that is pulled up against the bed. He is asleep, holding his head up with his hand. He looks young like that, like when he was little and innocent.

I look to my left and there's bouquets of flowers lined across the window sill and even some on a small table. There's little white cards which each bundle, and I wonder who they are from.

I look back at Joe and gently touch his knee. He jumps awake, making me jump too. He looks at me with his eyes wide and leans onto the bed towards me.

"Trinity." He says, his eyes scanning my face.

I give him a small smile, "hi."

"How are you feeling?" He asks, looking me over as if something on me could be bleeding.

"Okay. Sore." I say.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asks.

He reaches out and brushes his fingers against mine. I turn my hand over, palm up and he rests his hand in mine.

"I was running away and not paying attention, and then I remember feeling something and blacking out." I admit.

He nods, "you were hit by a car."

"Damn." I say, "how dramatic of me." I say with a smirk.

Joe smiles too, and I'm thankful to see it. He's pale, and he has dark circles under his eyes. The only thing that is normal is those adorable curls.

"You have a broken leg, and a concussion. You were in a lot of pain so they had to keep you on a high dose of pain medicine. That's why you've been so out of it." He says as he runs circles on my hand with his thumb.

"Well that sucks." I say, looking over at my leg. It was really stupid of me to just run out into the road like that.

I can see his expression dull a bit and I know what he's going to say, so I speak before him. "It's not your fault Joe."

"How'd you know I was going to say that?" He asks.

"Because I know you." I say.

"If I could have just caught up to you sooner..." he says, looking down at our hands.

"Did you see it?" I ask.

He nods, not looking back up at me, "it was the worst thing. I thought I was going to loose you forever."

Guilt washes over me at the thought of him watching what happened to me. No wonder he's feeling the way he is.

"Well you didn't loose me." I say.

He looks up at me and I smile at him, causing a small smile to appear on his lips.

"Nick has been visiting too, and Danielle and Kevin of course."

"How are they?" I ask.

"Worried about you. But hanging in there."

I move my shoulders a bit, trying to get comfortable but it doesn't work.

"Are you okay? Do you need anything?" He asks.

I shake my head, "I'm okay."

"About that day, before you're accident..." he starts but I stop him.

"We can talk about that when I'm out of here, okay?" I say. I give him a small smile to assure him I'm not upset.

He nods and sits back in his seat.

Authors note;

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I haven't given up on this! It's just I'm getting married next Saturday so I've been so focused on getting everything ready! Please comment and let me know how you are liking this :)