Chapter nine

A/N: Cover art for this chapter was drawn by the one and only @Sassy-Fox! It's Domino! Honestly, this is the perfect drawing of them. I just want to let Sassy-Fox know that I really love this and appreciate this. When I first thought of Domi, I never thought they would have such a great fan. THANK YOU!!

Your mind swirled into flashbacks of your history, the self-defense stabbing of the fake police officer, the court hearing, the prison, the bathroom murder-suicide. Memories mixed with reality as you heard your name being called but you saw the fake police officer. You felt your heart beating fast and your breath coming in gasps. Your vision suddenly returned to normal after you felt something cold on your cheek. You looked to see Domino holding a cup of ice water up against your cheek, a concerned expression on their face. You saw the Hazbin staff looking worried, and you felt yourself heat up with embarrassment. You hated being the center of attention. You gently pushed Domino away with a 'thank you' nod and smile. 

 "I-I'm fine. Go back to what you were doing. Forget what happened," you said, finally catching your breath. Many demons in the restaurant had already returned to their eating or gambling. You rested your arms on the table and covered your face with your hands, taking deep breaths to clear your mind. 

Questions about whether you were ok and what happened were inevitable. Now that you had answered them all and explained what happened during flashbacks, you finally got to eat dinner without it being too super awkward. There was still those little pauses between conversations where you felt an impending question about your flashback. Luckily, everyone seemed to know better than to ask. You still felt embarrassed, almost ashamed that you had interrupted everything like that, and Alastor must have noticed during a conversation pause. 

"My dear, you don't have to feel at fault for that ordeal," he told you. "Pshct!" Domino tried to signal to Alastor to 'not go there' or to 'not bring that up'.  You looked up at the deer demon. "I just interrupted a nice dinner because I couldn't grab a knife correctly. How do you think I feel?" you snapped sarcastically. For a second, you thought you saw hurt flash in his red eyes. You seemed to feel a stab of sorrow in your heart. "I'm sorry. Those flashbacks are pretty...stressful. Normally I just need time to clear my mind. Plus, I hate it when the attention's on me, so, no offense, but please don't bring it up again," you explained. "Apology accepted, darling," Alastor said happily. You smiled at him and returned to eating your dinner, listening to Domino tell a story about a poker game.

You then remembered something and waited until Domino was done with their story. "Oh, have you heard about the casino opening up a bit down the street from the hotel? If you guys would be comfortable with it, maybe we can have a kinda, night off kind of thing where we all have fun together, playing poker or blackjack, or whatever's in there," you said excitedly.

When you were a kid, your grandpa had taught you how to play some casino games. Poker, blackjack and Texas hold 'em were the main ones, and you had gotten pretty damn good at them. When you had turned 13, you and your grandpa decided to have a 'birthday casino night' where you sat at the big re-purposed pool table in the basement and played casino games into the late hours of the night, for real money, but only as high as $50. After the end of the night, you had won 38 dollars, impressing your grandpa. He told you that you had an amazing poker face, and you had fooled him when you had a royal flush.

In a way, Husk reminded you of your grandpa. Grumpy old man who liked to play poker. There were a couple times that you and Husk played poker together, and it had brought you such nostalgia. Sitting at the green felt table, cards in hand, attempting to hide the joy when you got a great hand, and better yet, bluffing your way into hundreds of dollars. You raised the stakes high, betting 300 dollars on a pair of 2's. You somehow fooled Husk and gotten him to fold, winning you 300 dollars. 

You really hoped that the rest of the hotel staff would agree to your proposal. "That sounds amazing! We'll have so much fun!" Charlie said excitedly. You smiled. "Casinos down here get pretty violent," Vaggie warned. "We'll be fine! Everyone here knows how to defend themselves, right?" Charlie asked. Domino brought out their pocket knife, showing it off. "Vaggie's got her spear, Domino has their pocket knife, Angel has his...feminine wiles and gun skills," Charlie said as Angel winked and shot finger guns at her, "Alastor...well, he's the Radio Demon, and everyone else has their defenses. I'm sure we'll be fine. We can have some fun as a hotel staff family!" Charlie said, eyes sparkling with happiness. You looked at your hands, flexing your (f/c) claws in and out. Yeah. You could defend yourself. Vaggie let out a sigh. "Hey Husk! Whaddya say about all of us going to a casino next week?!" Charlie called across the restaurant. The grey cat demon didn't respond. Charlie shrugged. "I'm sure he'll agree later," she said. 

{Time Skip}

You walked out of the restaurant with the rest of the hotel staff, drunken Domino leaning on your shoulder. "I told you that you shouldn't have gotten those drinks," you told them. "But ith wuz sew guuud," they slurred. You wrapped your arm around them, helping them walk to Charlie's limo. Alastor held the door open and you gave him a 'thank you' smile as you helped Domino into the car. You almost squeaked in shock when Domino just...flopped. Not even an attempt to soften their fall. They just....went limp and flopped to the floor of the limo like a dead fish. They groaned, and you were left with no choice but to climb in, over the drunken raccoon demon, and literally drag them over to a seat. You huffed thanks to the physical exertion it took to lift the dead-weight demon. Everyone was finally loaded in and the driver started driving to the hotel as conversations continued. There was a long pause in the conversation, and Domino took the chance to fill it in. "Kin I havz a popskickle?" they asked. The limo was filled with laughter. "Preferafabably a trawburry one," they slurred. There was a pause for a moment before you understood what they meant.

"Oh my god, Domino, come on, that's not funny!" you scolded. "Don't worrey, I knows you want sum too," they responded with a wink. You felt you face heat up with embarrassment. Angel chimed in, "I think we all do," followed by a smirk. "Come on, Domi's drunk, they don't know what they're saying," you said. "I ferkin' know wut I'm saysing! I know yew want some uv Alstor!" Domino told you with a smirk. "N-no, I don't!" you argued. You noticed Alastor looking at you curiously. "Come on, we all know," Domino teased. "Fuck that! Who in here thinks that...what Domino thinks?" you asked. There was silence. Angel gave a smirk and a shrug, but nobody else responded. 

"Iv you don't get him now, I'll get tath Radio hottie," Domino slurred, giving Alastor a smirk. "Domino, stop," you said, noticing Alastor's uncomfortable glances at Domino. "Why?" Domino asked. "Because you're being an ass," you told them. "Yew don' wana be nice? Oki then, I'll just sit with yer crush to make you jelly!" Domino said, getting up from their seat. They tried to make their way towards Alastor, but just then, the limo hit a bump on the road that made Domino fall over and faceplant into the floor. You tried to hold in laughter, but Domi just laughed their ass off. "I PRACTICALLY MADE OUT WITH THE FLOOR!" they announced. There was an outburst of laughter. Oh boy. Drunk Domino was hilarious.