Chapter seven (plus mini author's note)

You supressed a sigh as you saw Domino approach you. The night before, you had gone to dinner with Alastor, and personally, it was better than you expected. He was actually really fun to be around, and you partially wished you could do it again. You were now at the hotel again, removing cobwebs from the library. "Hey (y/n)," Domino greeted you. "Hey Domi," you greeted them. "Whadya do last night?" they asked. Your ears flattened a bit. There was a tone in their voice that told you they knew about you and Alastor. How did they find out? "Why do you care all of a sudden?" you asked in response. "Oh, no reason really. I just have a friend who happened to have been at that old 1920's restaurant at the same time with Al and a demon that looked just like you," they told you, checking their nails. "So? It was just friends having a friendly dinner. Is that allowed?" you asked. "Oh, sure, just that, my friend said Al got pretty protective of you," Domino remarked. "Did he get mad at your little friend? Because if so, it's because your spying friend was calling me a prostitute," you said. "Yeah, but he didn't need to threaten to kill my friend in a remote place," Domino said, flicking a dead bug off a book. "You know Alastor would overreact to a small thing," you said. "Yeah, I've heard that, but never have I heard of him getting defensive of anyone else," Domino said with a matter-of-fact tone. "Well, never have I heard of anyone with a will to live continuing to imply that their friend is in love with someone she's not," you said, trying to get a message across. "I can take a hint. Well, more like acknowledge it. Buuut....maybe not follow through with it," they said. You sighed. 

"Poke fun all you want, I'm not going to end up being with Alastor. You can just keep on fantasizing about whatever the hell you fantasize about," you told them. "You mean your quaint little house in the countryside, black picket fence, half-deer half-cat demon kids, and your little radio dog?" Domino asked, a bit too quickly. "So you seriously think about that?" you asked, wanting to step down from the ladder and slap them. "Why not? I have nothing better to do," they replied casually. "I'm just saying it's a bit weird that you've been planning out a life for me and Alastor that will never happen. Maybe it's a bit strange that you seem to have a mental picture of a sweet little family spawned from a masochistic murderous demon and a demon who feels no attraction to that murderous demon," you told Domino, almost out of breath from your long sentence. You felt a stab of satisfaction from your successful lie. You seemed to have developed feelings for Alastor...or at least a tiny little crush on him...overnight. "Don't forget the cute victorian house, with a turret, and a black picket fence. And the little radio dog to-" they were cut off by you. "Okay, you need to stop and get a life," you told them. "I already had one. Now's my time to have fun and mentally force you to marry A-" they were cut off by you smacking them in the face with a duster. They sneezed and rubbed their nose. 

"Hey Alastor!" you greeted the tall red demon. He had walked in just a moment before Domino was about to announce that you and him were married in their head. Domino spun around and waved at him. "How can we help ya, loverb-" Domino was cut off again by another smack upside the head with the duster. They looked at you and you raised your eyebrows at them. "Is there anything we can help you with?" you asked Alastor. "I found this book in the lobby and assumed it belonged here," Alastor told you, placing an old-looking book on a table. You climbed down from your ladder and lifted the book, opening the cover to see if it had a year marked on it. Your eyes widened in shock as you saw the year. This book was from 1853. "Hey Domi, come look at this," you said, flipping gently through the pages. "Wut?" they asked, peeking around you at the book. "How old is-whoa!" they exclaimed when you saw an image of the streets of hell in 1853. It was still busy, but more crowded with casinos and pubs instead of strip clubs and drug dealers. There weren't any vehicles, and the streets were dirt. You placed the open book on the table and sat down, flipping through the pages.

 "Aren't you supposed to be cleanin?" Domino asked. "Yeah, yeah, I'll get to it," you replied abscent-mindedly. "I know you like vintage things, but ya can't slack off," Domino told you. "Yeah, it'll only be like, 5 minutes," you said, flipping through the book to just look at the pictures. "This is soo cool!" you said. "160 years is pretty much nothing here. You should see the books from long before that if you are interested in history here," Alastor told you. His voice came from above you, but almost behind you. You turned around and saw him standing behind your chair, hands rested on the back of it. "Where can I find one of those older books?" you asked him. Alastor took a step to be next to you, placing his hand on your shoulder. He gestured to the library with his microphone. "I wouldn't doubt there's at least one in here," he told you. You nodded, trying to stay focused while Alastor's hand was on your shoulder. You felt yourself get flushed and tried not to be too obvious that you enjoyed his contact. As he walked away from you, his hand rubbed your back and you tried not to smile. 

After Alastor left the room, you felt Domino's hand pat your head. "You dirty bitch!" they said teasingly. "What the fuck did you just call me?" you asked, turning to look at them. "You say you guys have nothin' going on, but he literally put his hand on your shoulder which is an obvious body language sign of ownership or attraction!" Domino told you. "Since when are you a body language expert?" you asked skeptically. "Since I was alive, heh!" they responded. You stared at them, unconvinced. "All you have to do is a quick google search!" they told you matter-of-factly. "I'm sure it means nothing. Alastor probably thinks of himself as above everyone else, so he probably thinks he has every right to do that! I'm sure he's not attracted to me," you told Domino. "Anyone who has taste should be attracted to you," they told you. "Yeah, look at your taste," you responded, gesturing to their mustard-yellow bell bottoms. "These are very tasteful!" they said defiantly, sticking out a leg, as if showing off. "So basically, I'm the demon equivalent of bell-bottom pants. That's fantastic," you said sarcastically. Domino stared at you with a -.- face (seriously i didn't know how to describe it, i'm cringing already) before walking out of the room. You couldn't help but wonder what Alastor meant by touching you like that. I mean, it'd be great if he was attracted to you, because the feeling would be mutual. But you were sure it meant nothing, or at least nothing important. With a sigh you closed the old book and walked out of the library to get something to drink. You had to figure this whole thing out, you just had to. It would drive you nuts otherwise.

1284 words! I hope you liked it! I haven't been updating because school is a bitch and I had some requests to do on my  HH one-shot book. Speaking of which, feel free to request there! Requests are currently open, but just check the title of the book before requesting, because that'll say if requests are open or closed. I love you all! Be sure to follow me for more updates on this book and my one-shot book. Also, TYSM for over 4k reads! Literally yesterday I was at 2k, and this book is growing faster than I can keep track of! Thank you so much! I love you all, byee!