Chapter 2

Three Years Back:

I rolled over in my bed, staring at the heavily personalized walls of the room I've grown to call mine. I looked at the calender across the room noticing that today is December 8th, mine and Corey's birthday. My stomach growling interrupted my idea of going back to sleep for awhile, so I drug myself out of bed slipping on an oversized gray hoodie that I believed was Anthony's before heading for the kitchen. I decided that I was going to be nice today since having a tiny job at sixteen, well now seventeen actually, doesn't give near enough money to buy something like a birthday present. So I made breakfast for my birthday buddy and basically my roommate, hoping that this would make him happy.  

I cooked up eggs, sausage, and biscuits. While I flipped the sausage patties and took a sip of some orange juice I was nearly scared half to death. A pair of arms wrapped around my waste and a body leaned into mine, almost causing me to burn myself.

Right as a chin rested on my shoulder I heard Corey's voice in my ear, "Happy Birthday Ash."

I rolled my eyes while at the same time tried to consume my blush, yeah I hadn't gotten over him like I had originally planned. "Happy Birthday to you too. You want to tell me why you're basically laying on me?"

"You just looked comfy." He murmured and I had to fight off the shiver that threatened to race down my spine when his lips momentarily brushed my neck.

He is seven years older than you Ashley. I scolded myself as I thought of giving him a totally different sort of birthday present.

"Well I'm gonna have to ask you to let me go." I tell him as I unsuccessfully reached for the cabinets, so I attempted to wiggle away from him.

"No." He whined gripping me tighter.

Right when I was about to say to hell with it all and push aside every thought that told me that I certainly was never allowed to do what I wanted when it came to him, the sound of the front door opening had his arms slipping from me.

When I was alone again I turned my attention back to putting the food on plates since I already could assume who was at the door and then I heard Sarah's voice from the hallway. I sighed and took a hard bite of a biscuit as I heard him kiss her, of course she would come over early. I finished with the plates and sneaked mine to my room. I was halfway through my meal when I heard a kick to my door, an obvious sign that it was my brother.

"What do you want?" I asked letting my fork clatter to the plate before pulling my door open from where I sat.

"You know Corey doesn't want you want eating in your room." He tells me.

I roll my eyes and give him the finger.

"Just because it's your birthday I'm going to ignore that."

I gave a dry laugh and nodded.

He shrugged, "Alright I guess I won't give you your gift then."

I perked up at that, he usually never gets me anything for my birthday. He grinned at my behavior and tossed a small box on the bed next to me saying, "Happy Birthday sis."

He stepped out after that and I quickly reached for the blue and white stripped box. When I opened it my smile fell a bit when I saw that it was only a piece of paper, but then I let out such a loud squeal that I could hear him laughing from his room and then I had Corey burst in.

"What's wrong?" He demanded.

I was smiling so widely that it hurt my jaw before I exclaimed, "Anthony got me tickets to finally see your band! I'm going to see Slipknot next August!"

"That's great, but I have something that goes with it." With that he pulls something out of his pocket. A backstage pass.

"Are you serious right now?" I shouted before basically throwing myself on him, hugging him as tightly as I could manage. 

He wrapped his arms around me at the small of my back, returning the hug, but in a much gentler fashion. I choose to stay where I was since I didn't get to be in his arms very often and I relished these times.

"Did you think I forgot to get you something, huh?" He asked jokingly.

I shook my head and laughed lightly.

"Oh I see how it is, Corey gets a hug and I don't even get a thank you? Glad to know you love me Ash." Anthony grumbled and I quickly let go of Corey to give him a tight hug.

"No Corey's just easier to get a hold of, it's a shorter distance thing. Ya know what I mean?"

"Hey that's harsh." Corey stated from behind me, causing me to giggle.

"You seriously rock." I say before looking back at Corey, "Both of you." 

Corey's pouting expression faded into a grin as he rolled his eyes at me.

After I let go of Anthony he told us goodbye, saying that he had to go meet up with the rest of his band Static Flag for a meeting. I think it would be safe to say ever since the last time I tried to run away things have gotten a lot easier for me to handle and it was all thanks to Corey.

"I would like to have you know," He began breaking my train of thought and strolled over to me to flick my forehead, "that you are in fact shorter than me."

I chuckled, "I know, that was my point, you're easier to access." 

"You little brat." He says in a low tone and my body clinches in fear because I know what it means when he calls me a brat. I'm about to get the living shit tickled out of me.

Right as I let out a yelp and braced myself to bolt down the hallway before he could catch me, Sarah breaks us out of our focus.

"Corey, come on we need to hurry up!" She called before making her way into sight.

"Where are you guys going?" I asked trying to break the awkwardness that just came over the situation.

"She's having a party for me." Corey explains.

"Can I come?"

Sarah shifted uncomfortably, "I would say yes, but it's at a bar. I'm sorry Ash."

I shrugged it off, "It's alright." 

She said a quick goodbye and walked back the way she had come.

"Hey go hang out with your friends for awhile and I'll be back before you know it." He tells me with a wave and hurries after Sarah.

"But you're my only friend Corey..." I murmured to myself and simply pulled my door shut to be left alone with my thoughts.