Chapter 28

For those of you that can't see the video, I highly suggest you listen to Stone Sour's cover of Wicked Game. Hope you all enjoy!

*********************************

I watched the still fairly bright blue sky above me as I floated on my back in the cool lake near Jenny's parent's home. I felt that sudden familiar pain in my chest of longing. I really wish Corey could be here to enjoy this with me. It's been quite a while since I had last heard from him, it had been even longer since I had seen him. All I knew at the moment was he was now divorced and Sarah was living with Travis, other than that I was left in the dark about the rest. I could only hope that he was alright and on the road to getting himself together. I sighed as I tried to push my thoughts away from missing him and shut my eyes to just feel the weightless sensation the water gave.

"You better not fall asleep like that." A deep voice warns, causing me to sink slightly as I jerked upwards out of surprise because I knew exactly who it belonged to.

"Corey!" I exclaimed as soon as I opened my eyes to see him on the dock.

I swiftly swam over to him, attempting to lift myself on to the wooden platform.

"Hey sweetheart." He greets me with a bright smile as he picked me up onto the red deck.

I was so pleased to see that he looked better than he had in a long time, his hair was short, there were no dark circles under his eyes, and he was clearly happy. He leaned in to give me a kiss, which I gladly returned while throwing my arms around his shoulders. His hands rested on my hips as his kiss held so much passion that I could hear my heartbeat hammering in my ears. I dug my fingers into the material of his shirt right as his mouth left mine, silently saying that I wasn't done with him yet.

He moved to whisper in my ear, "You look really hot Ashley. I think we should do something to cool you off."

Before I even get a chance to respond with more than a shriek, he picks me up bridal style and throws me back in the lake. Right when my head broke the surface of the water once more Corey was paddling over to me, laughing to whole way.

"Fuck you Taylor." I grumbled, spitting out water.

He cocked an eyebrow as he smirked at me, "Using last names now, are we?"

I stuck my tongue out at him quickly, right before he splashed me.

"So that's how you want to play?" I asked and then splashed him several times in return.

A second later we were shoving water at each other and dunking the other person when we could get a hold of each other, giggling like children the entire time.

"It's good to see you two are having fun." Jenny remarks from dry land as she approaches the shoreline. "I like seeing you both happy."

We nodded in agreement, it was nice to for once feel okay again.

Later that night after dinner with Anthony and Jenny around midnight, Corey and I were out by the water once more, just dipping our feet in.

I noticed that Corey was off somewhere in his head, so I decided to mess with him by murmuring, "You know, I'm really relieved that they took care of the shark issue out here."

He jumped like he had been shocked, yanking his feet out of the lake shouting, "Fuck, where are they?"

I burst out laughing, leaning over so far that I nearly fell in. "Got you!"

He glared at me muttering, "No one should be that mean to their boyfriend."

I rose my eyebrows at him, "My what?"

His face instantly turned a shade of pink. "Never mind."

"Well I'll have you know that I am perfectly nice to my boyfriend, I was just paying him back for throwing me the lake earlier." I say with an impish grin.

His somewhat sour expression turned into a soft smile. "I guess I can understand that."

I shook my head at him and placed a quick peck on his cheek with a simple, "Good."

A moment later an idea seemed to pop in his head as he hopped to his feet quickly uttering, "I'll be right back."

When he returned I was astonished to see that he was carrying an acoustic guitar with him.

I smirked as I asked, "What are you up to?"

He sat down in one of the wooden chairs that circled the fire pit in the middle of this large deck, gesturing for me to come sit next to him.

"I learned a song that I think you'll want to hear." He tells me as he situates the instrument on his lap.

The flames in front of us lit up his features in a warm glow as he began to play. I instantly recognized it as one of my favorite songs, Chris Isaak's song 'Wicked Game'. I was floored by how much I enjoyed Corey's version of the tune, it was absolutely beautiful. I watched him, totally entranced, as he sang to me and I knew in that moment that I had to tell him what I've honestly been denying and holding back for years. I thought about everything he has ever done for me and I knew that I at least owed him that tiny bit of truth.

After he finished the song he opened his eyes with an expectant smile on his lips, "So what did you think?"

I took a deep breath as I nervously licked my lips and professed, "Corey, I love you."

He sat his guitar in the empty chair beside him and held out a hand to me urging, "Come here."

I took his hand and got up to stand in front of him. Before I could ask him what he was doing he was pulling me on his lap and leaning up to press his mouth to mine as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I ended up basically straddling him as he pushed his body against mine and I rested my hands on his bare chest as I kissed him back fiercely. I gasped against his lips as his right hand coasted down to my inner thigh, his fingertips barely brushing the space between my legs. I could feel him smirking as he palmed my crotch, causing me to squeak slightly at the contact since I just had on bikini bottoms.

His free hand glided up to tangle in my hair as he moved his right again, but this time he dipped it underneath the fabric and my breath caught in my throat at his touch. His kisses moved from my lips to my neck and right as I felt his index finger run against my clit I started to pull away.

"Corey, we can't be doing this out here." I panted out.

He chuckled against my skin, "And you decide to tell me this just now?"

Despite his words he removed his hand from between my legs, resting it on my thigh. He lifted his head to capture my mouth once more, pulling me back into sweet oblivion. He let go a moment later to place his forehead on mine, staring at me with such intense eyes and softly asked, "You know I love you too, right?"

I barely nodded, "I have always hoped you would."

Anthony's voice suddenly speaks up out of nowhere, "Um guys, Jenny wanted me to come check on you two. Everything good?"