Chapter 1

Four Years Back:

I had it settled in my mind, it was either be homeless or find a way back to Kentucky so I can live with my aunt. We’ve not even been here in this situation for a year and I’m already sick of it. I huffed out a breath, watching the fog escape my lips and I only grew colder. I picked up my heavy black backpack and planned on hitchhiking, hopefully I wouldn’t get in the car with an ax murderer like a moron. I lifted up my thumb and waited, but suddenly just up the hill I saw a blue Jetta approaching and I sighed heavily, dropping my arm. This was worse than ax murder, it was Anthony’s friend Corey and I knew I was in deep shit when he pulled over in front of me. I pulled at the wrists of my gloves as I watched him step out.

“Going somewhere?” He asked nodding to my bag.

“Yeah, home.”

He laughed, “Well it looks like you’re going the wrong way.”

That is not my home.” I growled.

“It can be if you’d let it.”

I just rolled my eyes and turned on my heel away from him.

“Ashley wait!” He called after me and when I kept walking I heard him jog up behind me, “Just hang on a second.”

I reached the over pass before I finally gave up and stopped before turning my attention to the traffic below before answering him, “What?”

“I won’t stop you from whatever you’re doing, but you at least owe me a good explanation that I can give to your brother.”

I sighed deeply, “I’m just tired.”

“Oh I know what that means.”

I raised an eyebrow and looked over at him, “What are you talking about?”

I noticed him shiver before he questioned, “Care to let me explain it in my car?” 

I shrugged and followed him back to the car. We climbed inside and he turned the heater on full blast.

“You couldn’t decide to run away when it was warmer?” He asked rubbing his arms frantically.

“What were you going to tell me?” I snapped.

“Damn he wasn’t kidding.” He muttered under his breath.

“Corey!”

“Sorry, sorry! It’s just I sort of know what you’re going through.”

“Sure you do.” I muttered and couldn’t resist rolling my eyes.

I had heard this too many times, that people understood the loss of my parents. They were wrong, I had not only lost the most important people in my life, but I loss everything else in the process. I had no real home, no family besides my brother, and I had no peace of mind. Every day I was in fear of having the same fate as my parents, it wasn’t like they moved us to a safe place and that’s all that I wanted, safety.

I’m yanked out of my thoughts by Corey grabbing my chin and pulling my face so close to his that our noses touch. His dark blue eyes search mine and I feel like my heart is in my throat from his closeness.

His voice is low and eerily calm when he speaks, “I want to know something Ashley, are you afraid of me?”

“Right now, yes.” I say quickly.

He laughed and finally let me go with a smile on his lips as he shook his head. “I know why you hate it here, because you’re scared right?”

I only nodded. 

“What if I can promise you that I’ll make sure you’re safe?”

“You can’t do that.” I argue, but he is quick to cut me off.

“But I can. I’ve grown up here and a lot of people are well aware of who I am, so if they know I don’t want them to even breathe in your direction they won’t. As for Anthony, I’ll tell him to let up on you.” He explained and gave me an over the top pout begging, “Now will you stay, please?”

I laughed, “Sure, let’s just say I want to see if you can live up to that promise of yours.”

He smirked as he shifted his car into gear, “Oh I will.” 

My heart was still pounding in my ears like an over excited kick drum the whole drive back to his apartment. Why had he felt the need to bring me so close to him? I understood that he wanted to get my attention quickly and not to mention scare me quite a bit. That was the thing I didn't understand about Corey, it was never as it seems with him. It wasn't as simple as I wanted it to be.

My mind kept drifting back to his hand on my face and the mischief that had danced in his eyes. My curiosity was driving me crazy over it, but my embarrassment kept my mouth shut. I guess I wouldn’t be able to truly know why he did what he did. I couldn't figure out why it seemed to be consuming my brain so much and then it dawned on me. I had just developed a crush on one of Anthony’s closest friends. I wanted to smack myself in the face, how could I do something so damn stupid? Well at least I realized this quickly so I can get rid of it easily.

I turned my gaze to Corey and I was glad to find that he was focused on the road ahead. If I was being honest with myself he was strangely good looking with his long wavy blond hair, baby face, and the thing that really sold me, his piercing greenish blue eyes. 

"Having fun?" He asked breaking me out of my trance. 

I realized that I had been staring at him a lot longer than I had originally planned. I shook my head slightly before apologizing, "Huh? Oh I just drifted off I guess. Sorry."

He chuckled softly as he shook his head before turning his attention away from me. I actually allowed my mind to wander after that, which is when I made a bargain with myself. Get over Corey as fast as possible and then find a way out of this god forsaken place.

*****************************************************

So hopefully posting this will get a few more people intrested since it's an actual chapter. So if you want more leave a vote, comment, or add this to your library! 

Thanks! :)

Ak out!