Chapter 23

One Year Later...

I never imagined that seeing someone hold their child would bring me as much joy as watching Miranda with Kasha did. The first time it happened I honestly cried a bit. At the moment I was taking a break from studying and watching a bit television with the both of them, glancing over at Miranda as she fed her daughter. I smiled softly myself before resuming my channel surfing, which was interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Hey Ash." Anthony greets me sounding rather cheery.

I couldn't resist chuckling at his tone, "Hey, what's up?"

"So our bus is going to be driving through your area. I was wondering if you, Miranda, and the baby wanted to tag along with us to Nevada to meet Jenny."

I grinned at the thought, I was glad to hear that he and Jenny were finally official enough for me to come meet her, so I said, "I'll have to run it by Miry, but I'm in for sure."

"Run what by me?" Miranda quickly asked as soon as she heard her nickname.

"Anthony wants us to go with the band to Nevada to meet Jenny."

"Um, I think I'm going to hang back for this one actually. I don't like the idea of having Kasha in a car for that long. Sorry Ash."

I waved it off, "I understand, it's perfectly fine. Alright Anthony, it's just going to be me this time around."

"That's good enough for me, but there is one thing I think you ought to know about before you start packing or anything."

"And what's that?"

"We're touring with Stone Sour." I took in a sharp breath, which I'm sure he heard, so he spoke again, "I promise you won't have to talk to him Ashley."

In the time Anthony had started to take things seriously with his now girlfriend he would often call me asking for advice. In doing that we actually got surprisingly closer as siblings, so he's been a lot more understanding about the things that happened between me and Corey. In fact, he knew everything that had happened, leaving out the gritty details of course.

"I know; it'll just be weird seeing him again after all this time." I admit.

"You sure you still want to go then?"

I nodded even though he couldn't see me, "Yeah, I'll go."

"Great we should be there by Friday, but I'll call you when we're close."

"Sounds good to me."

I was thankful that my last final was this Wednesday, so I wouldn't have to worry about school until the next semester. Miranda was also kind enough to help me get my things together before the trip even though she was staying behind. So by the time Friday night rolled around I got that call from Anthony and I was already set to go.

"What are you going to do if you run into Corey?" Miranda asked as we sat out on the porch enjoying the warm weather while Kasha napped inside.

I didn't move my gaze up as I picked away at my black nail polish muttering, "Ignore him I guess."

She laughed at that and then I did look up at her.

"What?"

"I don't think he would let you do that."

I rose an eyebrow at her, "Why not? He hasn't tried to talk to me since his wedding, so why would he change that now?"

"But you haven't either."

I sighed, "It doesn't matter anyway. I'm not going to talk to him. Whatever we were, friends or something more, it's dead now."

Before she could say another word we saw a black tour bus coming up the road.

"Looks like your ride is here." She remarks getting to her feet.   

I step inside, to grab my suitcases and heading back to Miranda's room to wish Kasha a softly spoken goodbye. I returned outside to see the tour bus pulling into our complex and I was surprised that Miranda was the one to start our hug farewell.

"Take care of yourself." She tells me before letting go.

"You ready?" I hear Anthony shout behind me and I turn to see him walking over with his drummer Nick and their singer Travis.  

"Yep, let's hit the road gentlemen!" I cheer and begin heading in their direction, watching smiles spread on their faces.

I was surprised that while Anthony was giving me a hug as a hello that Travis grabbed my things for me and took them to me put in the bus with the rest of the stuff.

As I followed Anthony and Nick back to the vehicle I couldn't help but ask, "So where are the other bands?"

"They just decided to hurry and get to the place so they could crash at a hotel for the night instead of the bus." Nick informs me as we climb on.

"So how have you been Ash? Long time no see little miss." Travis questions as he gets in the tour bus as well.

We both sat on the couch and the other two went to the back before we took off down the road. I got comfortable before replying, "Just trying to get through college mostly. How about you?"

"It's been kind of odd for me lately. You know that Katie and I broke up awhile back right?"

"What? No! What the hell happened there?" I asked in disbelief. The whole time Anthony has been in Static Flag I've known Travis and Katie to be basically attached at the hip.

"We've been on the road a lot these past two years and she said that she couldn't deal with being with someone that was almost never around."

"That is such bullshit. Why didn't she just come with you guys?"

"She has a life of her own outside of me. I guess she just felt like I was holding her back."

I shook my head, "Oh well, it's her major loss. You'll find someone better and willing to make things work despite your career."

He grinned at me, "Thanks, you know you always have such a positive out look on things."

I rolled my eyes mumbling, "If you say so."

"Hey Joe! We need to head over to the East 35 interstate. Apparently Stone Sour's bus is having some issues." The bassist, Kyle, calls to the driver as he heads for the front.

I groaned, placing my head in my hands. Of course this would happen as soon as we got started.

"What's wrong with you?" Travis asked.

"I just don't want to see someone on that bus."

"You still aren't over Corey yet, are you?" He questions, nearly sounding playful.

"It's not that. We just have such a strange rift between us that I can only imagine how uncomfortable seeing him will be."

"Well no one said you have to get out of this thing and help. Just go hang out in my bunk if you have to. I just cleaned it yesterday, so it smells like oranges."

I chuckled, "Thanks Travis."

"Anytime, so what are you studying?" He asked to change the subject.

And just like that we were talking happily again. Then as soon as we pulled up I saw Corey's face, but he didn't look like himself.

All I could do was ask, "What's wrong with Corey?"