6. When the boss beauty walks in

Miael

22nd November 2019

Life's a lie.
I run from it because I don't want to end up heartbroken but this time I was sure I made a mistake by running away. 2 years down the road and I'm still stuck with the same confusion, what in the world was I thinking when I married the heir of the Martin group? I mean, he is the most inconsiderate person I had ever encountered. Rude, impatient and uncanny. But then again, how the hell I ended up thinking of him as a caring one?

For obvious reasons, he behaved better with me than others but then how Eleanor just described him on the phone call makes me worried. Did my running away from our marriage really change him? Has he really become cruel again? My mind became havoc and I knew the only thing I could do to calm myself down was to find out by myself. I had to return, anyhow.

Yesterday when I spoke to Eleanor I felt a sudden pain in my heart. It was such a weird feeling that I couldn't handle it. I have been away from home for more than two years now and not once had I spoken to Noah. I don't keep regrets ever but if Noah was really back to his selfish mode, I was going to regret running away big time. I was used to the term runaway bride by now but I had never thought or looked at the other side of the story. Noah got stood up by me, yet he never complained. Well, it was high time for me to return before some mishap happens with Eleanor.

Liam was most probably fooling around with her and Jade, as usual, was being rebellious but the way she described Noah, I knew I was wrong this time. I knew he was waiting, why wouldn't he? Didn't he promise me he would,  when I decided to breathe the last moments of freedom away from all the responsibilities and relationships?

When I married Noah, I never considered a future with him and I guess that is why I had been running away all this while. But walking towards the bleachers to his cross ball game now doesn't seem such pressure like it felt when I was walking down the aisle. It's so different. I was in Linkton high for my sister while my whole focus was directed towards the guy who had the scent of rain and even before I could properly frame the question in my brain my answer came for my rescue, literally.

I was walking so carelessly I didn't notice one of the balls coming in my direction. I thought my life was done for today but that is when he just appeared from nowhere kicked the ball away and saved me like he always did. So maybe, I was here this time to find out the reality of my marriage, my relationship with someone who wasn't a total stranger but nothing less as well.

My lungs felt uncomfortable as continued to struggle for breaths.

"You're in town?" He asked after a moment of silently staring at my face.

I removed my scarf on realizing he did recognize me and he intended to save me. But how did he know it was me?

"Yeah, visiting my sister, Eleanor," I said pointing towards the little bundle of panic, who was sitting in the bleachers.

She covered her face as soon as I called out her name while the whole school looked at me in shock. What blunder did she create now? I dismissed the thought and turned back to Noah.

"How did you know it was me?" I questioned.

"The scent of old books is a distraction." He said with a glint of a smile. I smiled back trying to hide the blush that actually crawled on my cheeks hearing his reply and that is when in the reflection of his wristwatch I saw Pete intentionally throwing a ball towards him. I pulled him aside as I pushed the ball away with my left hand and without realizing, I lost my most precious thing, my wedding ring. But I had no idea so all my focus was on how dare he?