A visit from ya boi

K, this is pretty long for a one shot, but I haven't posted in a while so I'm making up for it.

It's officially been two years since we made it back to earth. Zarcon is defeated and the once mighty Galran empire has crumbled.

I laid in bed and stared up at the ceiling ruggedly. Two years ago, I decided to stay on Earth and I haven't been in space since. Part of me feared it. The thought of going back made my stomach twist sickly.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes exasperated. Some nights were difficult, I'd have nightmares about our encounters and missions going wrong. Some nights I never fall asleep.

Pidge and Hunk decided to stay on earth as well. They both work at the Garrison now, Pidge helps design and experiment with new technology and Hunk teaches the future pilots.

Sometimes I'm invited to lectures and I talk about our experiences in space and with aliens. I've been turning them down more and more lately.

Space was breathtaking; full of wonderful cultures and advanced technologies that blow you away. Yet, my mind keeps going back to the life or death situations. The moments of sneaking on Galra ships and hiding behind shield as your rained on by enemy fire. The fear that you or maybe your teammates might not all make it all out alive.

I don't leave the house as frequent anymore. I tend to stay at the farm and help out. The McClain family business of growing everything from raspberries to corn. We supply the local stores and make good money off it.

I changed into a pair of jeans and a white shirt. I knew it was supposed to sprinkle this morning, but the weather is still warm. I threw on a red flannel just in case; pushing the sleeves up to my elbow.

The morning air was thick and the grey clouds loomed in the sky. It hadn't rained yet, but you could smell it. I grabbed a plastic bowl from the kitchen and pulled on a pair of boots. The mud was terrible this time of year. I trotted across the farm to the raspberry bushes and began picking the ripest of them. They slid of the stems with ease and I dropped them in the bowl. This was my favorite part of the day. Picking raspberries early in the morning before every one else woke up.

I nearly finished when I felt droplets of water hitting the back of my neck. I carefully carried the overfilled bowl back inside and looked out the window. It was only a light drizzle.

"Hey, Lance," my mother smiled brightly pouring a cup of coffee, "can you deliver some watermelons to the Almeo's Grocery? We didn't have many last time, but they just ripened and people are ecstatic to get their hands on em'."

"Yeah, sure." I smiled, "I'll get started now."

I hauled a few of the crates into the family truck; securing them, I hopped off and dusted my pants. I climbed in and started the truck driving into town. It was still gloomy out, but the rain had stopped; it didn't last long. Though, the clouds appeared to be moving quickly and gave hope that it wouldn't stay like this all day.

When I made it to Almeo's, an employee ran out and helped me carry in all the crates. I thanked him and he waved me off. The sky was much brighter now; the clouds were becoming more sparse and the sun was shining through.

I parked the truck and grabbed the keys hopping out quickly. I went inside to find my mom and dad talking, but when they saw me, they immediately stopped. I pursed my lips; that seemed to be happening a lot lately.

Concerned talking, but when I show up, it's dead silent. "Lance," my mom stood up from where she was sitting, "You got a call from the garrison while you were out. They were asking if you could attend a class of newcomers. I told them you'd be able to make it."