(2) Out of Awkward

Start from the beginning

''Yep, no doubt in that.'' Mom smiled at Carmen warmly and somehow I was glad that my mother liked my friends. With Daniel it was different case, Carmen wasn't her best friend's daughter. But thanks to her connection with Daniel, Carmen and mom had been in touch and they got along well.

''I'll be going now, Ally be ready by seven okay? Carmen will you bring your parents?''

Carmen shook her head and made an annoyed expression, ''I forgot to tell you but both of them have gone at my long lost cousin who's getting married. But Flynn will be there, he's not leaving for college until few days.'' Mom nodded and the next moment she was gone.

She had arranged a sort of get together party for me this evening. I wasn't really keen for it but I was afraid of saying no to mom, I didn't want her to think I had become a brat. Thankfully it wasn't anything grand, just dinner with some closest people; including us, the Cattermole's and Carmen and her family.

''Flynn is coming? I haven't seen him in ages.'' Flynn was Carmen's older brother and I was every fond on him. Unlike guys of his age, Flynn didn't act snobbish. He was one of the most gentle and good-natured person I've met. He was a sort of boy you can never hope to have a fight with because he always ended up being a peacemaker. You can call him million of names, make fun of him, insult him but he never lost his cool which to me was a very impressive trait.

''Yeah, he's very eager to see you.'' Carmen replied, bored. She was staring at the shelves like she was sitting in an exam room and her test was to read every single book that was present here.

''This place gives me creeps.''  

I rolled me eyes, ''I don't remember you being afraid of books. Did you develop a new phobia?''

''You're making phobia sound like some sort of virus. No, I'm not afraid of books but it scares me to think that someone can read this much.''

''It's fine really. I get that all the time.''

Carmen began counting the money that was stored in the jar and giving me ideas on how to spend it. None of that worked though; according to Carmen I should buy myself pretty dresses instead of books, so I can make a dramatic comeback at school. I had no intention to do that though, it would be financial suicide.

''School? Do you think there'll be familiar faces in our sixth form?'' I asked while dusting other shelves,

''Yep, most of the people are going to Spence Jefferson, lets hope we don't get snobs and bitches, I don't want my next two years getting ruined by some platinum blonde calling reminding me of my weight every single day.''

''Don't worry, if anyone dares to do that, I'll handle them.'' Carmen looked back at me for a moment, like she didn't really believe I will stick up for her. It was true though. I was usually a clam person, but there was one thing I couldn't handle - seeing people bullied for their looks and personality. And I was quite fierce when it came to that.

''So, what'll you wear tonight?'' I asked her, changing the subject,

''I can't wear a dress; I'll look like a cow. So I'll go with my blue collared shirt and jeans.''

''Nobody will care how you look Carmen. If you like a dress and then go ahead and wear it.''

''Daniel will care.'' I heard her mutter,

''And why would he? Daniel's not judgmental.'' I argued back,

''because, because-'' She spluttered but suddenly closed her mouth, like she didn't want to talk about it, or precisely didn't want to talk about it with me.

I gave her a doubtful look, ''Has he really changed though? I mean he did go from blonde to black. It was a bit surprising really.''

''I know right. I'm not sure why he did that though. Black is so not his color. Not that you and me are judgmental here...'' she trailed off because we started laughing at the exact moment, not caring for a second that how hypercritical we were being. If only Daniel knew that I and Carmen had spent half an hour of the afternoon discussing his hair.