office

New Zealand's POV:

"What are you doing?" We turned around and saw Aussie standing at the door looking rather sleepy.

"Don't do that you almost gave me a heart attack!" America shouted.

"Shhh! Mate be quiet, UK isn't a heavy sleeper" Australia snapped quietly. Uk's bedroom was next to the office. Aussie walked over and sat down next to us. He looked over at the file America was holding and snatched it out of his hands.

"Hey! This is my personal information!" Australia said angrily.

"Whatever you say, New Holland" America said as he tried to hold in a laugh. Australia punched him in the shoulder. 

"Aussie, what does orphan mean?" I asked hoping that he could explain it better.

"Why do you want to know?" He asked. I pointed to the word on my file. He read the sentence and then looked back at me.

"Oh, uh, well. It means your mum and dad are dead," I was still confused as Netherlands, UK and France were still alive.

"But, UK and France are still alive?" I said.

"They aren't your mum and dad! They adopted you!" Australia got frustrated, "Your real parents wouldn't abuse you!"

I could see tears in his eyes but he did his best to hold them back. I could tell this was about his father. I went to pat him on the back to show my support when I noticed a piece of paper just hanging over the edge of the desk.

I got curious and grabbed it. America and Australia were interested as well so they tried to look at it as well. It was titled 'treaty of Waitangi'. The first half of the document was in English and the second was in Maori. 

I could read Maori far better than I could with English. I started reading through it realising what it was about and at the bottom was a very familiar signature. I felt like crying. I couldn't believe what I had just read.

"What's wrong Zea?" America asked. I didn't say anything, I just read the words over and over again hoping that they would change, or I misread something. But no. It was all real. My sister really did sign me away.

I no longer belonged with her. But, what really hurt me most of all, was that UK would frequently visit her for trades. UK has been seeing my sister this whole time without my knowledge. I continued to read through it again and again.

Maori didn't want me. She signed the treaty giving UK full custody over me. I thought we were close. She was the one that taught me to care for the land and I showed her how to care for the animals in return. And together, we looked after and raise our little brothers.

I was so mad. I wanted to tear the document into a thousand pieces and have it burnt in a fire but, I  knew I couldn't. If I did UK would hurt me again. I understand what Aussie must feel like. Being given away by someone who cared for you to someone who abuses you. It hurts emotionally.

And Maori had the guts to get Aussie to pass on a message telling me to 'stay strong'! Why should I? Maori doesn't want me back.

Australia's POV:

I could see my little brother crying while frantically rereading the document. I couldn't see what it said but, the pain in Kiwi's eyes told me enough. I tried to hug him to get him to slow down at least but, it didn't work. Nothing I did would get him to stop crying.

In the end, I snatched the paper out of his hands and put it back on the desk out of his reach. Kiwi didn't fight with me at least. He sat on the ground next to the desk crying. Something on the document got to him.

I picked up the document again and read through a few sentences that stood out. I must not have read enough, or simply did not understand. I still couldn't work out why he was upset. America wasn't much help but, he was trying to cheer him up. I didn't like the way tried though.

"Don't cry, Zea! Uh, here! Did you know that Australia was a convict colony," I hit America in the back of the head. I didn't like my personal information being shared but, America continued to read from my file.

Suddenly I heard a slight groan from the room next door. UK. I put my hand over Kiwi's mouth to make him quiet. It worked, surprisingly. America had the right idea and hid under the desk. I looked around frantically for a place to hide. I settled for the cupboard.

Luckily, Kiwi and I could both fit. I continued to hold his mouth closed as I heard the door open. Footsteps walked towards the desk. I could see from a crack in the cupboard. UK bent down to pick up the multiple files spilt out on the ground. He sorted through them for a couple of moments.

He then put the files down on the desk and bent down to look under the desk.

"America, come out here now," UK demanded. He had been caught. I watched as he stepped out from under the desk and stood in front of UK. I didn't see the next bit but, I sure as hell heard it. I full-on slap in the face. I saw America holding his cheek.

"Never touch my files!" He shouted. I was actually surprised when America stood his ground. He didn't look the slightest bit startled. I was kind of worried that he might rat us out but, he didn't. UK then grabbed his arm violently and dragged him out of the room. The lights went out and the door slammed closed. There was a small click to be heard as well.

He locked the door. I could hear him marching upstairs. I didn't move a muscle until I was sure he was out of hearing range.

I got out of the cupboard and Kiwi followed close behind. I released his mouth and was silent. I could see a thing in the dark room. There was no window for light and the lightswitch was over by the door.

New Zealand made his way over to the door and tried to open it.

"It's locked," He whispered. He must have missed the clicking of the lock beforehand. We were stuck in there for the whole night. There was nothing we could do until morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salutations my friends. I am back once again!

Now that holidays are over I won't be uploading chapters as often as I have been. I will still try and get them done as often as I can but, please don't expect me to upload every night.

Once again thank you for reading this far into my story! I say this every time but, I really do appreciate you all and you deserve all of the digital hugs in the world!

From the Author!♡