Chapter 23: Down The Cellar We Go

Though the note freaked me out quite a bit, I was actually calm, for the most part. Max on the other hand had one fist clenched tight and the other ran through his hair as he paced slowly throughout his room. I sat on his bed watching his every move.

Bear laid next to me thumping his tail on the bed, "Can you tell him to stop. He is breaking my nap concentration."

"Get over yourself, Bear," I whispered to him flicking his ear softly. He hissed then proceeded to whip his tail back and forth.

"It's okay Max," I tried to calm his nerves.

"No it's not okay, I don't know if it will ever be now." Max slammed his fists into the wall creating a noticeable dent.

That move made me stand up in anger, "Quit your tantrum and let's go find your sister."

He was about to interject but I shut him up by kissing him once. Max smirked and leaned in for more I turned my head so his lips met my cheek. "There will be more time for that later."

"Well, I am not staying here alone," Bear stretched his claws out and then hopped off the bed landing on the ground with a large thud. Surprisingly he was okay.

He stayed glued to my side never straying more then a foot away as we made our way out of Max's room.

"Wait," Max said taking my hand in his. "We should probably armor up."

"Are you serious?" I asked scrunching up my eyebrows in defiance.

"Completely, now come over here," Max pulled me to a closet.

"Do I get armor too?" Bear asked concerned for his own safety.

"I don't know. Can Bear wear armor too?" I asked annoyed by my talking cat.

"You know the whole 'being able to talk to animals' thing is still freaking me out a bit," he laughed opening the door. Instead of a closet, a staircase greeted us leading down into the darkness below.

"We have to go down there?" I asked grabbing onto his arm.

"Don't worry I'll protect you from the darkness."

I punched him softly, I was full aware that punching him didn't hurt him at all but it still made me feel better.

We made our way into the dark abyss. I felt Bear clawing at my legs for me to carry him. I knelt down and picked him up. Or that's what I thought.

"Hey!" an unfamiliar voice shouted.

"That is not Bear," I said dropping the large rodent.

"What the hell was that?" Bear asked climbed up my leg. His claws dug into my skin as he made his way into my arm.

"One of the many large rats that live in the cellars and basements of this house." Max said slightly amused by my reaction.

"Doesn't that violate health codes or something?" I asked staying close to the walls.

He laughed, "I'm pretty sure a house of werewolves violates a lot of health codes."

"Right," I said sheepishly. We had arrived at the basement floor. Mac flipped on a light. I quickly scanned the room, three large rats the size of a large house cat scurried into a hole.

"Weirdo," One voice shouted back at me.

I gulped and shivered slightly. They were revolting.

The basement was lined with shelves full of boxes of random stuff. On the right there were blankets, flashlight and other random disaster needs. I'm not sure if I'd want to use any of it because of the large rodents inhabiting the space.