Chapter 25: Spiral Spikes

"Yes, I mean, no, I did not know other species could shift," Max cursed something under his breath.

Pyrite rolled her brown eyes. "Hey Danielle, do you have any clothes I can wear?... I don't think I could get away with wearing nothing but a towel," she laughed sheepishly.

I nodded my head and continued to stare at her. I couldn't believe that just a minute ago she was a scaly 'monster'. Now Pyrite was an beautiful Italian looking girl. She looked like a Barbie, in a good way, because of how perfect she was.

I could honestly say that I was jealous of her.

I got pulled out of my trance by the snapping of her fingers in front of my face.

"Hello, earth to Danielle?"

"What?" I said blankly.

"You said you have some clothes that I can use?" she laughed.

"Oh yeah, sorry about that," I apologized. She must have been used to people staring.

I made my way over to an unpacked suitcase and pulled out a pair of skinny jeans and a light green t-shirt with the words 'Cat's Meow' printed in white across the front.

How ironic.

I handed them to her, "Here you go, they might be a bit big on you, sorry."

"Are you kidding? I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit in them, you're so skinny," she smiled and took the clothes from my hands.

She's got to be kidding, I thought to myself.

"That's definitely not a cat," Bear hissed.

"Of corse I'm not, kitty," Pyrite said directly to Bear holding the clothes against her chest.

"Did she just...? What?" Bear folded back his ears. Apparently having two, well one and a half, humans talking to him made his head hurt slightly.

"Wait you can understand him too?" I asked.

"Yeah... I have the gift of a thousand tongues," she looked me up and down strangely.

"Oh, that's cool," I said slightly glad that someone else could hear Bear but also disappointed that I wasn't the only one.

"Wait, you understood that?" Pyrite tensed up.

"Yes... Was I not supposed to?"

"Well I was speaking in my native language and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know it," she paused and furrowed her brows. "That is unless..."

"Unless what?" She walked closer to me. Her body was still wrapped tightly in the towel. Pyrite tucked the clothes under one arm so she may have a free hand.

She spun me around so that I wasn't facing her, lifted up my shirt and gasped.

"What is that?" Max asked with a hint of worry. He walked over to Pyrite and I could feel the gaze of them both, staring at my back.

"It's a birth mark of sorts," she said, tracing her fingers along my back. I started laughing, her nails against my back felt weird.

"Well not a 'birth' mark, it's a new marking," Pyrite continued. "When did you start talking to animals?"

"I don't know, a couple months after I met Max." I shrugged still holding back laughter.

"Max, have you ever been able to talk to animals as well?"

"Nope, wait... Actually I have," He looked like he was going to hurt himself because of how hard he was thinking. "And that stopped shortly after biting Danielle. But I didn't break skin?!"