CHAPTER 18

It's finally time to face reality.

The letter I've been waiting for, for the last five months, arrived yesterday. And I can't open it. My mom and I were so excited about it. I imagined opening it with her and jump all over the place for seeing the word "accepted". I also expected to see the word "rejected"; I would have cried on her shoulders, and get so depressed for a week or maybe more. Either way, I wouldn't have been so miserable because I would have had mom by my side.

Now I don't have a single desire to open it, I couldn't care less about getting into this school. It's no longer a dream. Even getting accepted in a much better university won't matter because I lost all the enthusiasm I had. I lost the people I care about and with them my happiness, my inspiration and the courage to follow my ambitions.

'Is that your response letter?!'

I turned around. My mother was standing behind the couch looking at the envelope in my hands over my shoulder.

'Yes,' I answered excited that she came in time.

'Well let's open it,' she said sitting next to me, eyes shining with joy.

My stomach twisted as I ripped off that sticky paper. More afraid of disappointing her than disappointing myself.

'It's a rejection.'

'What?! Honey, I'm sorry...'

'i'm TOTALLY KIDDING, I GOT IN,' I screamed throwing the paper in the air. I jumped in her arms hugging her so tightly.

'I'm so proud of you,' she said eyes dripping happy tears. 'I knew you could do it. I love you, sweetie.'

Wow! I didn't hear that in a long time.

Her arms were warm, her hold was nice and comfy. I don't want to ever let her go. I don't want to lose this. These sweet moments with my mom in our comfortable living room sitting on our old couch at four PM

Does it worth it? After all, love means sacrifice, doesn't it?