31. Youssef Amin's wife

AQSA*
I drag my bag out of the airport while I'm on the phone with Saffiyya. Wallah they call me over the silliest things. That's why I used to throw my phone , until , well you become a doctor and dodging a call can actually cost you someone's life and oh until you have a husband who also calls you over the smallest of things and for him I'm not complaining. Lol. Double standards.

'Really Saffiyya, I'm at the airport trying to get my way out and you are calling me for that?'

'Well, I'm craving it and you know the recipe.'

'I'm not the only one who knows it.'

'Ah she's sleeping come on Aqsa, can you just tell me.'

'I will in sha Allah let me get into the car then.'

'Once you are in the car with that somebody wallah you'll forget and if you do Aqsa Ally Ahmed, I will chew your eye balls and have them with guac.'

'You are disgusting.' Eww.

'Well, please do it for me as soon as you can.'

'In sha Allah.' I reply.

Just then I break into a smile when I see the tall figure I know so well in a baseball cap I know so well too. It was Youssef picking me up at the airport. I just started my annual leave and I decided to stay 2 weeks with Youssef as he finishes his season then 2 weeks would be us on holiday, which we haven't decided where we were going to go yet.

'Asalaam alaikum.' He covers me in his large torso and I disappear in it. I haven't seen him in such a while.

'Waalaikum Asalaam.' I reply.
He pulls back and looks at me with a smile.

'I've missed you. You look so good for someone who hasn't seen their husband for months.' He says husband dramatically.

'Well look at yourself too. Haven't you missed your wife?'

'I have , it's so obvious, I've lost a couple of pounds.'

'Well you'll soon have months of my cooking.' I say with a smile as we walk into his car.

'So what are you planning to do with your stuff?' I ask him knowing he had no plans of staying here after the season.

'Sell some, donate some or do you want to move here permanently?'

I snort and Youssef bursts out in laughter.

'You really don't like it here!'

'It's not even about that. I just hate the idea that everything is so foreign for me here. It would take a long time for me to consider it home.'

'Well, we are going back home soon my love.'
He says with his eye locked in mine.

He drives away till we reach the apartment. Saffiyya was blowing up my phone. I had totally forgotten.

'She'll kill me. I won't call. I'll just text. She'll burst my ears.'

So I just send her a voice message explaining the whole recipe and cooking process completely ignoring her threats.

As we enter the apartment Youssef pulls me into his embrace. It's been a long long time.

**

'Youssef seriously!' I tell him as he is about to rush out. It's day 3 and we are about to cut each other's throats.

'Aqsa, I'm usually just in a hurry, I do it once I come back.'

His stuff was everywhere. He wasn't like this when we stayed at our apartment together but Paris Youssef was a whole other person.

'Now I have to do it.It's really not that hard Youssef to just be organized.' And he usually was.