18.Priorities

Salaam guyyyys... here's another chapter!! Please don't forget to vote and leave some positive comments lol, it'll keep me going!! I hope you like this one xx

....................

Aqsa walked out of the O.R tears streaming down her eyes. Every patient meant so much to her and she gave her all to help them get better, but that was the result she wanted but that wasn't always Qadr.
She had just lost a patient. A five year old. She had been part of the little girls journey ever since Aqsa started her internship in the hospital.

'Aqsa, go home and rest.' Dr Parker said as she squeezed Aqsa's shoulder outside the O.R as she cried.
'No, I have to go tell her family.' She said her voice breaking. Her body was beaten. Joanna was the sweetest little girl and she had grown fond of her. She'd always ask her for a hug before anything and when Aqsa was not around , Joanna would always ask for her. She'd refuse to do anything until Dr.Aqsa came or Dr.Aqsa called.

Losing a patient was always difficult but this was harder, she had allowed her heart to get attached to Joanna.

'No dear, you can't go talk to them like that. I will.'
Dr. Parker assured her. But she still had to see Erin and Billy. She had to face them. So she waited for Dr. Parker to go and she followed behind slowly. When Dr. Parker broke the news to Billy and Erin that Joanna was no more.. she was just behind Dr.Parker now. Erin fell to the ground as she let out a cry. Billy's hands flew to his head as if struggling to maintain his sanity, as if those hands would help him. She ran towards Erin and hugged her.
'Erin!' She hugged her tightly this time.
'My beautiful baby girl!' She cried. And Aqsa couldn't even imagine what Erin was going through. She rubbed her back for a few seconds until Billy's mind registered that Erin was there too, suffering like he was. He pulled her up and hugged her. Aqsa then moved aside leaving them to comfort each other.

Everyone looked at her. Well, most of the staff knew how attached she was and some had warned her even that it would only end up badly for her since Joanna's life was so much at risk, but she still couldn't resist the charms of Joanna. She remembered her green eyes, so bright. Familiar even, like the one man she loved.

After a short while and cleaning up she was now in her abaya and scarf, she walked to Erin and Billy to say her goodbyes. Not certain she'd see them again, oh well, Joanna's funeral. But she had to say bye for now.

Aqsa walked in her home hoping to run into Youssef's embrace but he wasn't back yet. He didn't have a match so where was her husband? She threw herself on the couch as she removed her abaya hastily throwing it on the floor where her hijab also landed. She sinked into her misery.

Joanna. Joanna. Joanna.

She was just 5 years old. But well, that was death. It didn't choose. Your time came whenever. That was the reality. We were all going to die too, someday maybe soon or maybe later, that we didnt know. Now she just laid down staring at the simple ceiling of their living room. Tears had dried but her heart was still shattered. The image of Erin's bloodshot eyes couldn't leave her mind. Loss. She was familiar to it. But it never got better. She didn't want to imagine the pain of losing a child. She didn't want to and if Erin's eyes were the reflection of it, oh she broke more. She didn't want to think about it. She wanted to forget it, but she couldn't. She felt Joanna's blood still on her, on her hands. She felt as if those bloody gloves were still on her. Why did she let herself get too attached? But she was only human.

She then heard Youssef enter their apartment. He was on his phone talking to a friend. Youssef and his friends. She thought.

When he noticed her laying there, he walked to her and smiled at her.
'Salaam beautiful. I've got some news to share.' He said his voice laced with unsure excitement.