24. No Tears

AQSA's POV

I sat with Nasrah in her sitting room talking. I just needed it.
'I don't want to go back home.'

'Aqsa, you have to.'

'I don't want to say goodbye, I don't want to see him off.'  I cried. I loved Youssef so much. Seeing him leave again hurt me and brought back a fear I thought I had gotten over.

Instead of driving back home, I drove to her's. Sayeed had gone to the masjid and he hadn't returned.

Today was the day that Youssef was leaving. His holiday was now over. That meant, he was going to be gone for another two months.

'Come on Aqsa, how did you do it the first time?'

'Horrible! I don't want to talk about it!' I didn't want to share about how we went two months not talking to each other, she'd kill me.

'Oh! Just go and spend time with him... all of this time matters. Also, you'll be communicating often, you must do that. Daily. It's really not that hard because you have calls, video calls, texts just take a second to send. The hard part is not being there physically but you can manage as long as you are always in touch.'

I was asking her because when she got pregnant the first time her family took her to stay with them. Sayeed was not with her. He would just go visit and spend time with her on the weekends, he literally had to go outside the city each weekend.

'It wasn't hard for me and I was pregnant. I literally wanted to be with Sayeed everytime but Alhamdulillah I could talk to him whenever I wanted to. Youssef himself would want to talk to you each time. He was always bugging Sayeed to tell him if you were fine when he was away.'

'What?'

'Yeah.' She laughed. 'I really hope this time around he's a bit used to it. Sayeed would always tell him like you are at your Baba's , nothing would be wrong with you and plus you talk to each other, he would know if something was not okay. But he didn't stop, he tried but he couldn't. Just communicate more, I know you are not the type to talk and text over the phone daily, but you have to, because it's literally the only option you have!'

Except she didn't know that we never talked at all.

He was disturbing Sayeed for two months? He could have just called me! Hot-headed Youssef!

Well, I guess now I had to have a typical millennial relationship. Online marriage.

'Now I'll have to be on my phone all the time like Ruqqayya and Saffiyya.'

We laughed.

I sipped the coffee that I had next to me. My niece and nephew were sleeping otherwise this conversation wouldn't have been possible with their noises.

'It's actually fun.' Nasrah winked.

'No it's childish!'

'Duh!' She rolled her eyes at me. 'You just like to act like you are from the 60s.'

'Ouch!' I laughed.

'Yes. You do. Everyone has an active online life these days. Except you!' She laughed.

'And now that it's the only option you have for like what 10 months? It's going to be so much fun to watch.' She laughed.

'Bleeh! It's just 7 more months. Technically it was 9 months and he's done two already.' I stuck my tongue out at her.

'Still!'

As we kept on having a go at each other, my phone rang. I fished for it and it was Youssef. Nasrah laughed.