21. Progress

AQSA's POV
we entered maman's place and found them making the table for dinner. Dinner. I didn't even think of it. I didn't even have the appetite to eat anything. I greeted maman and Papa then Maryam who was impatiently waiting for her turn. Youssef had taken my bag to our room.
'I was calling you since yesterday, Aqsa.'
When maman said that Youssef had already joined us again.

'I'm sorry maman, I didn't check my phone, I had deliberately tossed it away because it was blowing up.'

'People really love gossip, Allah musta'an'

'Amin!!'

Youssef was quiet all along. His father was just laughing, I guess at the ridiculousness of the gossip because he said after.

'Little Genevieve! How ridiculous. You literally walked that little girl to school.'

Youssef chuckled slightly.

Maman then announced that we should go sit and have dinner.

We all sat down and had dinner. After dinner everyone seemed tired except Maryam. I couldn't wait to go to bed.

' Now, since Aqsa is staying with us... Will you go with me to school, I can't wait to show my friends I have a sister, they are always telling me that I'm lying because they've never seen you!'

Everyone laughed.

'Maryam , she has to go to work , you know that?'

'She won't. Let them tease you forever.' Youssef joked.

'Aqsa is not as evil as you are! She'll go with me to school everyday, she's cool like that, right Aqsa?'

'Ofcourse Maryam, I'm not as evil as Youssef.' I said sleepishly.

'I'll drive you to school everyday, in sha Allah, so Papa can just drive to work and take a break. Right Papa?'

Papa nodded with a smile.

She stuck her tongue out at Youssef and he shook his head.

'You spoil her too much.' Youssef commented jokingly. He wouldn't want it any other way. He's always bullying Maryam but he loves her so much and is so protective of her.

Papa then added, 'I hope you  last a week she talks all the way to school.'

We all laughed.

Just then everyone started to go to bed. I stood up too and left Papa and Youssef talking. I freshened up then prepared myself for bed, it had been such a long evening. Just when I pulled the blanket over me, Youssef entered the room.

'Aqsa!' He called.

'Not right now Youssef, I just want to sleep.'

'Okay.' I heard him say sounding defeated as he walked to the bathroom.

After a short while I felt him get on bed but Alhamdulillah he didn't say anything. I said my night dua's then fell asleep.

I slept so easily because I was so exhausted however, it felt so weird to share the bed with him. I had gotten used to sleeping alone, now he felt like a stranger to me.

I felt Youssef pull me into his embrace, just into a hug. I woke up and got out of his embrace. Youssef opened his eyes to look at me, surprised at my reaction. This was how we always used to sleep but how could I know? I had forced myself to shut out my feelings for him that even his touch felt foreign.

'Youssef please don't touch me.'

'Why? What's wrong?' His voice laced with genuine shock.

'I agreed to come here so we can 'talk' and that's that!'