Chapter 51

From Rina's journal

Most of my life I have been invisible. I was the girl no one saw, that no one took seriously. Most of the time, I was in pain and there was no one there to listen to me. I had no real friends, and my family members didn't know I existed unless they needed someone to vent their frustration on.

I thought that things couldn't get any worse, but they did. My life became even more difficult when I woke up one morning only to realize that I was an invisible girl. The revelation was terrifying, and I was all alone. In my terrified mind, it was the worst possible thing that could have happened to me. It turned out to be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Yes, there were difficulties. I was kidnapped, and our lives were in danger. We are on the run and we don't even know who exactly we are running from. Still, these are the best moments in my life. Learning that I have a family which cares about me, an awesome sister, and loving parents. It is a dream come true.

Besides that, meeting up with Zizi and inheriting Serena's friend was just the added bonus to the miracle that my life started becoming. Most importantly, for the first time, I am heard, I matter. I am loved unconditionally, and I am happy to reciprocate the love.

It seems like my whole life I had been looking for that special connection, for a family. Finally, I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I have found it, and I am never letting it go.

Zizi is so happy to have us here, but I feel better knowing that the building of the house is going faster than expected. I guess the simple houses that are common here are easier to build than the modern ones. It will be good for my dear Zizi to have her own space once again. I know that her house is overcrowded and that we are interfering with her daily life although she would never admit it. Still, it will be good to be close to Zizi, to be able to see her every day. I missed her so much, and I use every chance I get to catch up with her.

Anyway, Serena is as awesome as I expected she would be, and I am starting to see why Nat is her best friend. Not only did he save us, but he is also a fun guy to be around. He is a bit dorky, but I like that about him. I feel like we will become good friends in the future.

For Serena and I, it was easy, we had the amazing friendship that blossomed since the moment we met. I guess there is something about being related that made us trust each other even before we knew the truth. It's wonderful! When I found out that I had a sister, I was happier than the words can describe. Not only is Serena my best friend but also my sister.

All three of us are having some problems adjusting to life in the countryside, but I think we are getting more accustomed to it with each passing day. It isn't easy, but we are starting to enjoy the work and that makes it worth the effort.

Mom and dad (how strange it is to say those words) are adjusting much better than we are. Dad is feeling much better, although only a few weeks had passed since he had been shot. Mom, well, mom is simply radiating joy. I don't think I have ever seen anyone so genuinely happy with their life.

She is also in charge of following the progress the workers are making on the house since dad is not strong enough to take care of that. Although he can move around, he can't exert himself too much, Zizi warned him that he should take it easy which mom makes sure he does. Besides, I think mom has taken charge rather well, all of the workers have immense respect for her.

About our special situation, I don't know what to say. Dad is unable to turn invisible, for some reason, and the three of us are still able to turn invisible. It comes in handy sometimes when we get spooked while in the nearby city, but generally, we don't use our powers. Well, except from time to time when we see someone in trouble and we can't just walk away. I feel like Serena may be sneaking out from time to time to play the superhero. But honestly, I am too scared to do that, I only help when I run into situations like that.

Nat is of course still fascinated by our powers and tries to persuade us to undergo some of his 'experiments' which we mostly refuse. The only one who ever relents, after hours of beginning, is Serena, but as far as I know, they haven't discovered anything new about our powers.

As for the criminals that are after us, I can just hope that they gave up the search. After all, I don't think it pays off to spend so much money searching for people who, as far as they know, could stay invisible forever. At least, I hope they think so. All we can do is hope that they never find us and be careful, at least that's what my parents, Serena and I believe.

Nat doesn't share our view. He thinks we should do something, fight them, expose them. I think that he expects us to fight a battle that we are not likely to win. We don't know anything about them. Most importantly, we don't have any proof that they had done anything wrong. Still, Nat believes that where there's a will there's a way.

For now, he isn't doing anything drastic about it, but I think he has been doing some digging, secretly, of course. I don't know what he thinks he will achieve, but I can't help but admire his determination.

However, I think what Nat is unable to see because of his proactive personality is that this is not a movie. We will not go around looking for revenge since we are just a regular family who wants to lead a normal life. There is no salvation from the bad guys, just moving on, going on with our lives. I do wish that life was like a movie, that everything could just tidy itself up into one perfect happy ending, but it is not.

Life is not a movie, there are no perfect endings, but hopefully, this will be our new beginning. Maybe we will be able to find the peace we are looking for. Perhaps we won't find it, but at least we are still willing to try, well most of us.

Maybe Nat, being braver than us all, wants to bring justice to us, to all the people who had been harmed in the past, but I hope that he will see that our way would allow us a better life. His way could only bring us harm and suffering even though he has the best of intentions.

I don't know what the future has in store in us, but for now, we live and celebrate the wonderful family we have. For some, it's a blood connection, for others it's connection forged by years of friendship, but they are all strong bonds that will hopefully keep us together and safe. For as long as we all shall live.

The End