Chapter 13

The next day was just a regular day on the outside but Rina had decided to try to check her blood again. She had nothing to lose. If there was no one in the lab, she would finally be able to check and see if there was something strange with her blood. In case there was that person in the lab again, she would be able to get some answers one way or the other. The problem was that Rina wasn't very good at dealing with situations that were beyond her comfort zone. But having in mind that she was occasionally becoming invisible and getting in all sorts of troubles, she didn't think that doing what she planned should be such a big deal. Nevertheless, she was very nervous the whole day and felt a huge lump in her throat. Usually, she avoided doing things she wasn't comfortable with because there was always a physical reaction to those situations. Her throat would get dry and her stomach felt as if it were filled with rocks. So usually it was just easier to give up and go back to the comfort of her little bubble. But this time there was no going back, she couldn't afford it, so she braced herself as well as she could before going to the lab once more.

She really disliked the fact that she was so nervous that her whole body was shaking and her heart felt like it was in her throat. Even though she was terrified of what might happen, of what she might learn she went on with her plan. On the outside, she seemed confident and it wasn't obvious how much she was shaking. But on the inside, she was screaming silent cries of terror. Once more she repeated the routine, she went to the bathroom stall until she became invisible and then headed towards the lab. A few times she stopped in hesitation, but every time she made herself go forward. Once or twice she turned around trying to walk away, but instead, she took a few deep breaths that manage to calm her down enough to get back on track. It seemed to her that the distance between the bathroom and the lab had increased but in truth, it was her fear and her hesitation making her feel like she would never get there. When she was finally in front of the door she stopped and took a few more deep breaths to make sure she didn't have a panic attack or something equally troublesome.

Opening the door slowly she couldn't help but think of all the horror movies she had seen where the main characters went into the unknown without a second thought. It was a crazy thing to think, but she felt like one of those characters, investigating a strange sound or in her case even worse, a strange person. As she entered the lab she didn't see anything out of order but then again she didn't notice anything the last time she was there before there was a hand on her shoulder. Shaking her head in a way that she hoped might help her clear her thoughts, she tried to ignore the fear and just focus on the process of checking her blood. Everything besides that was out of her hands, and she tried not to think about it. But before she could make any preparations she heard a voice coming from the corner of the empty-looking classroom: "Are you going to freak out again?" A low female voice asked. "N-no... I thiiink not." She replied as calmly as she could. It probably didn't sound calm at all because even she could hear her voice trembling and the stuttering didn't help convince the other person of the truth of her words.

"Great, because I don't want you to freak out again. That was unexpected, like did you ever stop running, or did you like run until you reached another state?" She asked in a mocking voice. That made Rina angry because she had a bit of a temper that she usually controlled well but the girl crossed the line. "First you scare the hell out of me, and now you act like was crazy or something. Please be kind enough to tell me what is a good reaction to someone you can't see putting a hand on your invisible shoulder?" She asked sarcastically. "Sorry, you are right. It's just such a strange situation. I never thought I would meet someone who is the same as me. "The girl said sounding slightly apologetic. It seemed to Rina like the girl didn't have any social interactions for a long time and didn't actually know how to communicate in a proper way. Feeling sorry for her, because Rina knew how that felt, she took a few deep breaths and reigned in her temper. "It's okay. I am also a bit stressed out about everything that is happening. So much so that I feel like I am on the edge and I might lose it any moment now. Also, I believed I was the only one with this problem, so I need a moment to adjust to the idea that I am not alone." Rina calmly replied.

For a moment both of them just stood there in silence mulling over their respective situations. "How come you can see me but I can't see you?" Rina asked after a few awkward moments. "I am not exactly sure. By the way, I am Serena. It's nice to meet you even under these strange circumstances. " She said as if just remembering the proper way to address someone you had just met. "I am Rina. Can you at least tell me what you know about the invisibility? How do you deal with it? What do you know about it?" Rina stated curiously, to learn more. "Well, I have been invisible since my eighteenth birthday and I don't really know why. I came here to try to figure it out because I had a strange feeling that this was the place where I could find my answers. " "What do you mean you have been invisible? You mean you started turning invisible from time to time?" Was Rina's confused inquiry. "Nope, I could never turn back. You can? You are so lucky. That is why I seem so rude, I haven't spoken with another human being for about a year now. "That answer shocked Rina and soon enough the lab was filled with awkward silence again.