Chapter 31

"As you have figured out by now, I have been working on the same project as Caroline, only my job was much simpler. I was hired as additional security because I possessed a special set of skills that the military didn't possess.
I was able to judge a situation quickly and efficiently and take the necessary measures without being told so and people in charge loved that. Well, they loved it when it was convenient for them.

Later, I found out that they also hired me to have leverage on my wife, if they ever needed one, but at the time I just thought I was hired for my skills.
Although I wasn't the only one who possessed those particular skills, I was the most discreet one about where and for whom I worked, and they needed that.
Having in mind that it was a government project, I didn't find it in any way unusual, but after a while working for them, I started noticing some strange things.

Sometimes some nicely dressed people were ushered in through secret entrances and it was odd.
Not the fact that nicely dressed people were dropping by, that happened all the time, but the way these people looked.
It was as if they had never seen those fancy clothes before and their hair, skin and even their nails didn't show the same elegance as their clothes.

Another strange thing about those people was that they would go in, sometimes groups of them, but never come out.
At first, I thought that they had to leave at some point, that I just wasn't paying enough attention.
So I started checking security cameras more often, but I never saw them leaving.

In fact, the only ones who left through the secret exits where people I knew worked on the project, the military personnel.
They usually carried these huge bags with them, but there were no unfamiliar people leaving the grounds.
I am ashamed to say that it took me much longer than it should have to realize that the nicely dressed people were leaving the building, only not on their own two feet, not alive." Jack said.

Serena felt goosebumps all over her skin.
She knew that people killed each other and did horrible things, but hearing a first-hand account somehow made it worse.
It was necessary for her to do her best to stop herself from throwing up, screaming or doing something similar upon hearing that they just threw away the humans as if they were trash.

"Before I had the chance to figure out what was happening, one of my military friends clocked me, and I was out like a light in a matter of seconds.
When I came to, I thought that they grabbed me because I was snooping around and did my best to pretend I was still out.

Honestly, I didn't have to try hard because they didn't seem to pay any attention to me, they probably didn't expect me to come to so quickly.
After all, they couldn't have known that my head was hit before and that I never stayed unconscious for long.

Anyway, while I was lying there cuffed to a bed, I could clearly hear the discussion they were immersed in.
To spare you their scientific mumbo jumbo, as far as I could understand they found a recessive gene, kind of like a sleeping gene, in my blood that had a potential to cause mutation.
Naturally appearing, that gene had the potential of activating the red hair gene or in rare cases, red hair and blue eyes. Those were naturally occurring genetic mutations, abnormalities, but I had a feeling that what they were talking about had nothing to do with the natural flow of things or red hair for that matter.

Mind you, I am no scientist, but from what I gathered they found a way to activate that gene in another way, to use a genetically modified invisibility gene as they called it to connect with and activate this gene.
Basically, it was supposed to help the integration of their serum and avoid the side effects, which in this case was usually death.

"We are so lucky that both Caroline and Jack have the gene. They are perfect for our experiments. If they survive phase 1, phase 2 will not be a challenge for them." One of the scientists whom I only saw in passing said.
"It's a miracle that they both have it. What do you think, when will he be up?" The other guy asked.
"In another thirty minutes or so." The familiar guy said.

That was when the scientists decided to take a lunch break.
Here they were at the risk of killing me, and they killed many others, yet they still had an appetite. I found it repulsive, but I knew I had to wait for my chance to escape.
As luck would have, it soon enough I was left in the room with only one nurse.

In the moment of despair, I came up with an idea that I wasn't sure would work.
I started shaking every part of my body trying to emulate a seizure and I guess I did a very good job since the nurse hurried my way immediately.
As he bent closer to me to check my pulse and breathing, I managed to grab a hold of her hand and started twisting it painfully.
She screamed in pain, but there was no one who could hear her.

"Uncuff me!" I told her.
"I don't have the key!" She said with tears in her voice.
It was obvious that she was terrified and that she didn't know what was truly happening.
"Do you have a hairpin?" I asked.
"A hairpin?" She asked in surprise.
"Yes, give me a hairpin!" I growled at her, angry that I had to be so cruel to such a fragile looking girl.

With her free hand, she pulled out a hairpin from her hair and with shaking hand she gave it to me.
Using my other hand, I took the hairpin and slowly unlocked the cuff, and then I switched the hand with which I was holding the girl and released my other hand as well.

When I was finally, free I... Well, I am not proud of myself, but I put a scalpel to her neck and told her to lead me out of the building.
For a few moments, everything was going well, but soon enough we ran into the two scientists I saw before, and they were in front of us, cutting us off.
So I did a dishonorable thing, I pushed the girl towards them giving me enough time to run away into one of the adjacent hallways.
I am not proud of that, but I knew that Caroline was in danger, so I needed to save her.

However, soon enough, I found out that she didn't need me to save her as I ran into her.
She was and still is, capable of saving herself." Jack said as he gently squeezed the hand of the woman he loved.

"So, basically people you worked for are after you because your genes are more susceptible to the serum that causes invisibility?" Nat asked trying to figure out what it all meant.
"I don't think so, because soon after we ran out of the building something terrible happened. The whole building we worked in just exploded.
It was pure luck that we happened to leave the place mere minutes before the explosion. I think that everyone who knew exactly who or what we are is dead.

These guys must have heard the rumors or know a part of the truth, they probably managed to gather some intel before everything exploded.
My best guess is that a foreign government got wind of this secret experiment and decided to try to track us down to see if they could replicate the procedure. I am not sure what else it could be." Jack said.

"But why would they kidnap Rina? What do they want with her?" Serena asked.
"They probably managed to somehow find out that Rina was our daughter and hope that taking her would make us come out of hiding," Caroline said.
"Well then, let's give them exactly what they want," Nat said.
His statement was met with shock. Everyone was speechless, but he knew it was for the best.