Chapter 21

In the letter her parents left her, she finally learned the truth.

"Dear Rina,

I want you to know that your father and I love you very much. We never wanted to leave you, but circumstances made us do that exactly that.

To protect you, we must leave you and hope you will be raised with all the love and affection you deserve.

Although our hearts are breaking, we have no other option.

One day, you might understand why we had to do this, but until then just remember that you are always loved.

No matter what happens, no matter where we are, we are thinking about you. We love you very much.

Love,

mum and dad (Caroline and Jack)"

Rina read the letter a few times before she could fully comprehend what it said. As tears ran down her face, she couldn't help but repeat under her breath: "I was loved! I was loved! I AM LOVED!"

It was such a revelation for her that she had trouble digesting the information.

Although it was something she always wanted to hear she couldn't believe that she was reading the letter correctly, that they did love her.

They loved her enough to try to save her from whatever trouble they were in, hoping she would have a better future.

Maybe she did, for a while. It was possible that had her adoptive father stayed alive, she would have lived a very happy life.

However, that wasn't Caroline and Jack's fault. They couldn't have known that death would come knocking on her new family's door.

No one could have predicted the change in the behavior in the rest of her family after the death of its patriarch.

For the first time since she could remember, Rina was crying from joy.

She spent most of her life thinking that she was unwanted and unlovable, that even her parents couldn't stand to be around her. The feeling of unworthiness and sadness plagued her for the large part of her life and all that time her biological parents were out there loving her and wishing they were with her.

Most of her doubts and sorrows could have been avoided if Grace had only shown her the letter. It would have made her life much better, bearable.

It was painful for Rina to think that Grace cared so little for her, that she didn't even find enough love in her heart to share a little hope with Rina.

Over the years, she understood and accepted that Grace didn't love her, but it was difficult for Rina to accept that someone could be so cruel as to hide such an important part of her life, of who she was.

For years, she blamed herself for what was happening to her, and after reading the letter she felt she was unjust towards herself. Her parents, her biological parent have always loved her unconditionally without her ever knowing that they even existed.

They wanted her to be happy, and she failed them in that. Blaming herself for Grace and her brothers not loving her she made herself miserable, and that was something her parents wouldn't have wanted for her.