Chapter 1

Once again they kept talking without noticing her presence. It wasn't that they ignored her on purpose, she was just too insignificant for them to notice.

They talked about this and that but whenever she offered her opinions on the subject, they spoke over her. It wasn't like they were rude, they just didn't register anything that she had to say. Their ears didn't seem to be able to register anything that came out of her mouth.

After trying to participate in the conversation for a while and after being sharply cut off many times, she just stopped trying.

She went to the farthest corner of the room and listened to their conversation without trying to chime in. Sometimes she would lose interest and start daydreaming about a better world, the one where people appreciated and acknowledged her opinions. The world in which she would be able to share all those brilliant ideas swarming around her head.

From time to time, she would get so lost in her thoughts that she would feel like she wasn't physically present in the real world.

After a few hours, they would notice her absence and start lecturing her on how disinterested she was about everything. They told her how she should be more communicative, and she just nodded her head knowing that they were the ones preventing her from being communicative.

There was no point in arguing with them because they would just misunderstand her or, once again, fail to hear her side of the story. So she just sat there quietly agreeing with everything they said, not that it mattered one way or the other. She had to endure a lot of those lectures during her lifetime but as the years went by she worried about them less and less.

At first, she was overwhelmed by the injustice of it all, but soon she realized that there was no point in trying to tell them what she thought. They had this idea of her as a disinterested little girl, who had no idea how the world worked, although she was seventeen, and who had no valuable opinions to share.

As a consequence, in the last few years, she would just nod her head and pretend to accept everything they said while her mind was actually on other, more interesting things.

The lectures would usually end in their exasperation, and she would be free to go back to her room and read books.

The good side about them often not noticing her, was that once she was in her room she seemed to slip their memory. She could stay there for hours and do whatever she wanted without being bothered.

As much as it was sometimes fun to enjoy the alone time, it was also very lonely because she wasn't only invisible to her family. Even her friends didn't seem to notice her. Well, they would notice she was physically there, but it seemed as if they never noticed her mind, never noticed the essence of who she was.

They would always talk to her, not WITH her and that made her feel so invisible and insignificant. People's behavior towards her made her feel so unimportant that she suffered from very low self-esteem. It seemed to her that if no one could see her worth, maybe there was no worth to be seen which made her very sad.

Walking down the street with her friends, she was always the one walking behind them because there wasn't enough room for her. She was the one they forgot to call when they went out, or generally when they did anything fun.

She didn't mind that, she accepted the fact that she was by no means special, and she was okay with that. She came to terms with her invisible existence since she thought it might be her destiny.

Some people were destined for greatness, and she... well... she thought she wasn't.

Her life was quite regular, normal.

One ordinary day, everything suddenly changed.