Chapter 47

Rina was surprised to wake up to the familiar scent of herbs and ointments. It was the smell that defined her early childhood, the one she had never expected to feel again. That was when a smile spread across her face because she finally remembered where she was. For the first time ever, she was home.

For her, home wasn't a place where one lived or the house with all of the material things, it was the people in it. The home that she had always dreamed of, but only had a long time ago, the time she could barely remember was finally a reality.

As her head finally cleared up, she noticed that Zizi was already up and about the house. It was music to her ears to hear Zizi busying herself around the kitchen. The familiarity of it all brought joy to her heart.

If she wasn't mistaken, the smell that was spreading through the whole house was one of pancakes, and Rina hurried to get up and check if her sense of smell was right. When she entered the kitchen, Rina noticed that the atmosphere there was much more lively and positive than it was before she went to sleep.

"Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Better than okay," Caroline answered.

She was surprised to see that her mother was not with her father, but then she noticed that Serena was missing. That made it clear that her mother did listen to her. It was a shock to her system to realize that someone actually listened to her. Her voice finally mattered and she felt so proud of herself.

"Your father smelt the pancakes so he asked Serena to get him some," Caroline answered.

Even if Rina hadn't known that was great news, a huge smile on Caroline's face would have told her so. She had never before seen her mother as radiant as she was at that very moment. Happy Caroline was a sight to behold and Rina was proud to be able to call her mother.

As Rina sat down and started devouring the pancakes, she noticed Zizi smiling at her. With her mouth full, Rina couldn't ask what was so funny, but her eyes did the questioning.

"It's just nice to see that my little girl hasn't lost her appetite," Zizi said.

As she said that she gently patted Rina's head and went on to put some pancakes on Nat's plate, as well. Unlike Rina, he was much more gracious in eating his pancakes since he was a bit self-conscious surrounded by so many people he didn't really know.

When it was touch and go, when there was something that needed to be done, Nat had no problems taking control, helping but at that moment he found himself in unfamiliar territory. In the movies he had seen, they had never taught him how to act in the kind of domestic situations he had found himself in, so he was lost.

Not knowing what was the proper way to behave, he decided to be as polite as he could be so as not to offend anyone. It felt like the safest option since, for the first time, he felt like he didn't truly belong. He might have belonged by Serena's side, but he didn't feel like he belonged in that particular house.

Still, none of them seemed to have any choice but to stay where they were, to try to adjust. Nat was sure that everyone but Rina felt as uncomfortable by the arrangments, but they all tried to do their best to adjust, to be careful of others' needs.

When Rina finished her meal, she decided that it was about time for her to go and see her father. Since the moment she had met him, she hadn't had the chance to have some alone time with him, to get to know him better, to thank him for saving her life.

As she entered the guest bedroom, she could see that there was some life back into Jack's face and that was a relief. Zizi's plants weren't magic so they couldn't expect instant recovery but they could still see the improvement.

"Oh, hey Rina you're up. Your great-grandma said we should let you rest as much as you need, but I guess the smell of pancakes woke you up?" Serena asked.

"It sure did," Rina replied.

"Could I have a moment with Ja- with dad?" Rina asked Serena.

"Sure thing. I think I should take Nat out for a walk. He is been jittery all day, being closed up for the whole day doesn't agree with him." Serena said as she left the room.

Once Serena left, Rina wasn't sure what to say, what to do. How does one address one's long lost father whom they didn't know existed. Especially when the said father was never there for her except when she needed him the most, when he saved her life.

Having in mind everything that had happened to her family, Rina couldn't blame them for anything, but it still felt like she didn't know the person lying in that bed. It annoyed her that she could communicate well with Serena, even with Caroline, but not with Jack.

She guessed it had something to do with the fact that she had already had an awesome father and accepting a new one felt like betrayal. Although she knew that Jack was her biological father, it didn't change how she felt, fateful to her deceased father.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked.

The confusion was more obvious on her face than she expected, but she didn't know how to answer. Instead of trying to think of an answer, she just nodded her head in agreement.

"You know it's okay if you are not. We have had a few weird and difficult days, and it's okay to feel confused. I know that you have already had a father and I am not asking to replace him. I am just asking for you to make some room in your heart for me, as well. Could you give me a chance to earn that place?" Jack asked.

Rina was honestly touched by what he had said. It had been such a long time since anyone had been so understanding towards her, that her only reaction was to start crying. She cried from joy that she had finally found her true family, and all of them were there, with her, doing the best they could to connect.

"Of course I can," Rina said.

She started crying and sniffling more loudly as she was overwhelmed by all the wonderful emotions. Finally, she was accepted for who she was and loved no matter what. It felt wonderful.

"I am sorry. It's just... It has been a while since anyone had considered my emotions. Before I met Rina people were not... they were not so nice to me." Rina said.

"I am so sorry you had to go through all that. If your mother and I had known what was happening, we would have come for you. We would have taken you with us." Jack said.

Rina could feel that he was being honest, that he actually felt guilty for what she had been through. Before she had the chance to think too much, she came closer to Jack, and carefully hugged him, minding his wounds.

He hugged her back, and it was the most precious moment they had shared. Rina hoped, with all her heart, that there would be many more.