xxxii. confessions & confusion february 24

Ashley and Nash peacefully strode through the quiet streets of town, occasionally bumping into someone who recognized Nash, asking for a picture or his autograph. Though her and Nash were hanging out and they were supposed to be talking, she didn't really mind that a few fans stopped him to have a quick chat. She knew that all of the boys were quickly becoming more known and she understood that it was part of what they wanted to do.

Besides, the fans support them and if a fan was lucky enough to randomly sashay across him on the street, she was in no way going to jeopardize that. So as the fans came, she politely stood by, sometimes even taking the picture for the fan.

They continued to walk around town and soon it began to get warm out. Ashley glanced at her phone that said it was 1:37. She sighed to herself but quickly noticed that not many other fans came up to Nash, and in a way, she was slightly relieved. Now her and Nash could have a proper conversation without being interrupted every few minutes.

"Sorry about that." Nash said to Ashley as he turned away from the last fan that he learned was named Christina.

"It's fine," Ashley reckoned, flashing a smile at him. "This is what comes with being famous and I don't mind. Did you see how happy some of them were? It was incredible seeing their faces light up when they saw you. There's no way I'm going to let my wants to be alone with you get in the way of other people's happiness." She admitted, quickly glancing around the many people winding themselves around them.

"You're so awesome," He beamed. "You know that right? Most girls would probably get annoyed with so many people interrupting us, but you? Nah you're cool with it."

"Well I know what it's like to be with someone that makes you happy and I would never want to take that chance away from anyone."

"Me either." Nash smiled. "So, tell me. What happened last night? Do you want to talk about it?"

Instantly, Ashleys light mood shifted and the temporary happiness she felt was shattered. "Well, I told you most of it already." Pausing for a brief second, feeling light headed, Ashley took a deep breath and quickly strode towards the Bench at the end of the street, frantically sitting down on it. She waited for Nash to catch up and sit down beside her before she spoke.

"Okay, so I went to go to the store last night, and Jack was there. And he tried talking to me but I got angry, and we began to argue and I guess, us being the stupid people we are, didn't hear the teller announce that the store was closing and we got locked in. We were together all night, and he tried to apologize and I freaked out and I broke down and he tried to comfort me and it was just horrible. Everything was horrible."

Ashley's eyes began to slightly swell with tears, but she used all her might to hold them back. Looking at the sidewalk in front of her, she turned her attention to Nash, who's expression was twisted in a confusedly way.

"Well you know, maybe it was supposed to happen." Nash blurted timidly.

"shley rolled her eyes, shaking her head as she did so. "Why the hell would you even say that?" She barked, crossing her arms in front of her.

Nash let out an exaggerated sigh and waved his hands in front of her. "Think about it, Ashley. You both ended up going to the same store at the same time, got locked in there, and spent the night together. It's the most time you've spent together in months. Maybe getting locked in there was a sign from the universe."

Ashley rolled her eyes again. "That sounds ridiculous. Why would the universe-" She said, using her fingers to put air quotations around the word universe, "want to give us a sign trying to tell us we're supposed to be together? Nash, as much as I want to be with Jack, it didn't work out the first time. And if it didn't work out the first time, I extremely doubt it would work out a second time."