⠀ ⠀xxvii. the store - part one ⠀ ⠀ february 24

Ashley froze.

How the hell do I keep running into him? She thought to herself. Lightly biting her lip in aggravation, she tried to turn away before he could see her. But of course, it was too late.

"Ashley?" Jack quietly mumbled, his voice shaky and his eyes slightly red.

She couldn't tell if he had been smoking pot, or whether he had just been crying a lot, but she decided to ignore it.

"What are you doing here so late?" He asked.

Ashley scanned Jacks face, and momentarily, felt sympathy for him. But she was quick to remember what he had done to her, so she obliged her feelings towards him and instead, crossed her arms in front of her and huffed. "It's none of your business, Jack."

Jack's shoulders drooped and he nodded. "I know, but- can we talk? I have to talk to you."

Ashley watched as Jack continued to plea, once again begging her to talk to him just for a minute. She was trying hard to stay strong, because in the whole of her mind, she knew that all she wanted was to run into his arms and never let go. But it wasn't that easy, and she knew that. So instead she stood her ground and shook her head.

"Please." He asked again, becoming more persistent.

"Fuck, no Jack. Where were you when I wanted to talk? Definitely not around." She scoffed, glaring at him with all her might.

Jack subsided and lowered his voice, feeling cowardly under her piercing stare. "I know Ashley, and I'm so sorry. But please, just hear me out."

Ashley cut him off, her anger rising. "Don't stand there begging me like a child Jack," She bit. "You look like an idiot."

Jack's head snapped up and he scowled. "An idiot?" He retorted. "What a mature thing for you to say, kid."

Jack instantly winced at his choice of words, feeling regret for saying something like that to her.

Ashley rolled her eyes in annoyance and turned to grab her things off the shelf beside her. She was tired, and it was one of those nights where she was in no way feeling up to being reckoned with. Especially by him.

Jack was just about to hit her with a snide remark, when suddenly the lights went out, surrounding them in darkness. He shut his mouth and tensed, taking a small step back. In fright, Ashley quickly dropped her things and bolted for Jack, throwing her arms around his shoulders.

They stood there for a moment, just silently listening. They could hear nothing except for the thud of someone's feet hitting the pavement outside, followed by the sound of a car door slamming and an engine coming to life.

A few more seconds went by, and Ashley was still strangling onto Jacks body. That was when she realized what she had just been doing, and instantly pulled away. Self consciously she felt a pang of sadness hit her from no longer being in his arms, but that was the least of what she worried about right now.

"Fuck," Jack mumbled, barely loud enough for her to hear.

Ashley swallowed, letting out a slight whimper. She realized that the two of them had been so busy arguing that neither of them heard the announcement that the store would be closing, nor did they hear the announcement asking if anyone was still in the building. And they definitely did not notice the man locking up. You'd think the cashier would check the store before he locked up, but unfortunately, he obviously didn't.

"Fuck," he said again. "We're locked in."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀